Cornish Thread

A breed or individual bird can be drawn to fit whatever is in the artist's mind. Even photos can be 'doctored'.

Actually that is a breed....... Dong Tao. (Probably bred for the chicken soup market!
wink.png
) http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/society/91272/-2-500-for-a-pair-of-dong-tao-chickens.html

I would also argue that Cornish have not really changed as much as many of you may think, here is a drawing of a pair of Cornish from the 1919 American Poultry Journal Vol. 50
Wow, they do look extreme- I suppose that was the vision even then! Looks like today's breeders may have succeeded! Spangledcornish what's the reference for that picture, I'd like to read the article that came with it. Looks interesting- "pullets should be made to work........."

Well Newnan Ga poultry show this weekend. Gonna see what I can find to add to the collection. Will take pics of all the cornish I can find and post

how do ya'll stand on the whole vaccination thing? I am going to be getting birds from a hatchery for the first time for a project and I am really concerned with them dying if i don't get them inoculated. What have ya'll's experiences been?

I read the SOP to try to get a feel for what's SOP correct, without much success.......... I was told it's best to read rather than look at the pictures. I'm really trying to wrap my head around this breed!

I think a person can get a fair idea on general type from a good written description, but for me good photos or illustrations really help me fix it in my head. That being said, nothing can compare to seeing good examples in the flesh. Still today about the time I get to thinking I may be getting somewhere with one of my Brahma projects, all I need to do is go to a good show and reset my goals. One thing that written descriptions and pictures sometimes fail to convey, at least for me, is size. I had a pretty good idea and appreciation for a nice wide skull or back. But when you see those big ol Brahma cocks with a back so big and broad you could play chess on it, it is rather sobering. Similar could be said for the Cornish as well, although I think you just about need to have a Cornish in hand to really appreciate their true massiveness.

One of the perks of being from these parts of Ohio is we have several good poultry shows within reasonable driving distance. The Ohio National show regularly hosting many breed club's national meets, drawing the best birds from a pretty broad area. May be well worth a persons effort, if they have never been to their national club show, to take a few days and travel, if within a reasonable distance, to see these birds firsthand.

Back
Top Bottom