Cornish Thread

Thanks you gals, will take note as suggested to see about coloring and gender. Just trying to get my Cornish X male to give me some good eggs with my dark cornish hens

I know this is apples and grapefruits but I had a talk with my brother in KY who fully understands the ins and outs of such matters and he told me that nothing, not money nor fame, could get him to so much as have lunch with a 500 pound man and feels that even if he were so disposed, several laws of physics would have to be broken.

Jason

Thanks you gals, will take note as suggested to see about coloring and gender. Just trying to get my Cornish X male to give me some good eggs with my dark cornish hens
Well it's not AI, but I trained Bob to hop up on any girl I'm holding. It helped him learn to balance. The girls held still. The tops of my hands widened the "landing strip". Loads of scratches on my hands, but eventually he narrowed his stance with good balance and breeds on his own. If I think he is neglecting someone, I just hold her and voila or wah-lah he is VERY willing to accommodate.

So my Bantam Cornish finally started laying. I put 5 of their eggs in the incubator last week, candled and found 2/5 to be developing. Just like I figured my boy is so wide and heavy his fertility is not good. I also have a sneaking suspicion that he is doing a decent job of fertilizing the Black hen which I purchased with him but not the Red Penciled/Jubilee/WLR/whatever color she is hen which I threw in for experimental purposes; that hen is larger than she ought to be (came from decent but not great stock) and I think he's having trouble mounting her properly. Fine by me, I mainly want to breed the pure Blacks. I threw in 5 more eggs today, hopefully I'll get a hatch of four or so from the ten.

Theyre growing on up. 21 days old already

So my Bantam Cornish finally started laying. I put 5 of their eggs in the incubator last week, candled and found 2/5 to be developing. Just like I figured my boy is so wide and heavy his fertility is not good. I also have a sneaking suspicion that he is doing a decent job of fertilizing the Black hen which I purchased with him but not the Red Penciled/Jubilee/WLR/whatever color she is hen which I threw in for experimental purposes; that hen is larger than she ought to be (came from decent but not great stock) and I think he's having trouble mounting her properly. Fine by me, I mainly want to breed the pure Blacks. I threw in 5 more eggs today, hopefully I'll get a hatch of four or so from the ten.

Good luck with the hatch, I don't have much experience but I found that around only half the (standard dark cornish) hatching eggs I got were fertile- I assume that seems to be the norm?

Theyre growing on up. 21 days old already
Sambat are you plotting these weights to get an idea of the growth rate of your chicks? Looking good at 3 weeks.

Hi CanadianBuckeye, no I havent been plotting the weights yet. These werr my first experimental hatch to get a general idea of how they will do. Im going to hatch out more soon

@CanadianBuckeye I'd always heard about fertility issues with Cornish from standardbred/exhibition stock. I forget if you said yours were hatchery or not. I've always had 100% fertility with my hatchery birds, I actually have 5 of them (MMH Dark) in my temporary bachelor pen right now because they were tearing up my laying hens something awful. I had a decent standard bred Dark cock a while back but never got to check his fertility - he injured his leg the first day I brought him home and never recovered so he ended up dinner. But with these Bantams the fertility seems terrible. Of the additional 5 eggs I put in on the 14th only one looks viable, thank god I'm doing staggered hatches so the poor little fella won't be all by himself if he does hatch. I put in another 4 yesterday so hopefully they will do better but I'm not counting on it.

Anyways I got some new photos of the little buggers. Infertile or not I enjoy watching them, they are such neat little birds.

Cock is Chicken Soup and hen is Icbincs (I Can't Believe It's Not Chicken Soup). No one can ever claim I am not creative with my bird's names.

Back
Top Bottom