Cornish Thread

clap.gif

I am glad to read that someone else is doing some crosses with the Dark Cornish. I have 13 pullets (chicks) and have 16 more chicks (S/R) coming in a couple more weeks. I have Malines and Niederrheiners that I am planning on trying crossed with the DC. I have LF Cochin and Langshan, plus Mottled Java, BBS Marans (french), and small numbers of a few other breeds. I live in Colorado, on the high (desert) plains at 6300 ft, and raising standard broilers here can be difficult due to the decreased oxygen and pressure. I am hoping to find a cross that will work well to produce an alternative for the local folks. I don't plan on a coming up with a whole new breed to feed the masses, but something with hybrid vigor that does well here and grows to butcher weight in 6 month or less. I also do everything organic here and free range most of the birds.

Malines:

Niederrheiner:

Turk Im getting the stuff together to separate the breeding stock into separate quarters. I've got a couple of birds that are definitely showing the traits I was looking for. Now it's time to get serious.

Back
Top Bottom