Cornish Thread

Quick genetics and lacing question.

I've got Dark Laced, Blue Laced and Jubilee Cornish and have a Dark and a nice Blue Rooster to choose from.
This years I'm setting up breeding pens for darks and 1 for Blues.

This is one of my Blue Pullets with the lacing I like.

So to improve Blue Pullets with lesser lacing, would you use a Blue Rooster or Dark?
I know both have merits but interested in your ideas.

I'm not quite sure I understand your question, but the genes for lacing are inherited separately from the blue genes. So if these were my birds I'd cross them to the ones with the best lacing. You can get the blue colour back more easily than you can get quality lacing, from a genetics perspective.

I don't really understand it myself mate
1f604.png

I think I'm going to use the Rooster which I like the best.
Just happens to be the biggest as well
1f609.png

Culled out my 2 spare dark roosters tonight.
Could of advertised them locally, as they are always in demand.
but decided to cull them for the table, as I'm trying to eat as much home grown chicken as possible.

These birds were only on Layers pellets, living free range and chased Pullets around all day.
So I was very pleased with the 3.8kg & 3.3kg live weights at 28 weeks.
I will be processing them in the morning but by the feels of them, the amount of Breast meat on them is very pleasing for a pure traditional breed.

but decided to cull them for the table, as I'm trying to eat as much home grown chicken as possible.

These birds were only on Layers pellets, living free range and chased Pullets around all day.
I will be processing them in the morning but by the feels of them, the amount of Breast meat on them is very pleasing for a pure traditional breed.

Congrats on getting your own food. To me that's always nice. I have several to cull out for the same reasons but have been to lazy. Poor hens.lol

Last edited:

Sounds like your live weights are doing well Dave! It's like a tomato from your own garden. They just taste better when it's yours!!

I really like your blue rooster. Do I see Blue in the tail feathers of some of those Hens or is it just tricks of the light?

Back
Top Bottom