Cornish Thread

Pics
I'm not very good at terminology, too green to know what to call them and don't seem to be able to learn new things as well as when I was younger. On areas that are supposed to be white, but show some black instead, I either call it 'bleed' or 'leakage'. In my experience the dominant white usually doesn't show black in white laces if the bird has two copies of dominant white, but often does with only one copy.

They're nice Cornish, and I would love to have a pair WLRs like them, but feel the pattern is too difficult for me to take on..

"Leakage" is only used on BYC. I have never heard a breeder use that term....along with the other BYC terms like POL, lockdown, blah, blah blah. Terms created on this site by "experts". In the real world of WLR's, Red Pyle etc, the term is black ticking. I would love to see a picture of a Cornish marked like these without black ticking somewhere in it. There is black ticking in white Plymouth Rocks too...not a big deal. Out of the thousands of WLR's we produced the only ones that did not have black ticking were the washed out birds. It apparently did not hurt them in shows....we could have pulled the few feathers with it, but that is cheating.

Leakage as I see it used here usually means a color is bleeding through....that is not the case with this black ticking.

Walt

Does anyone have an example of a true Jubilee?
I was hoping that someone better qualified would answer you. I've seen a picture of one, but on another forum and I don't have whichever one it was bookmarked on this computer. Some Cornish breeders from across the world were discussing birds and one [an Australian I think] explained that their WLRs were jubilee instead of single laced like ours

If you want to see the genetics and a crude color drawing, here's the Kippenjungle color calculator set up for what he calls jubilee.
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.htm...t=E:e^b/e^b,Pg:Pg/Pg,Ml:Ml/Ml,Mh:Mh/Mh,I:I/i+

Or you can go here and pick 'jubilee' and go from there.
http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

Either way, you have to go down the line and change I/i+ [heterzygous dominant white] to I/I [homozygous dominant white] in order to get the color to breed true. [If you cross two jubilee as it is, you will come up with 25% of the offspring being I/I. anyway.] If you change I/I to i+/i+, then you get a DC. If you leave the genetic sequence at I/I and change the columbia locus of a jubillee from co+/co+ to Co/Co, you will get a single laced bird like our WLRs.

My cross variety Cornish males look a bit like jubilee, but the females are off-white with black ticking and no red what-so-ever. The males have an occasional black feather mixed with the off-white along with heavy red bleed. Both also have some black pigment on their legs.

The Kippenjungle calculator is set up for proper Barnevelders just in case you choose it trying for double laced DC, and Barnies are gold instead of red, so you have to change that when figuring the results of crossing varieties. My own DC are also wheaten based instead of the partridge base of Wyandottes and Barnvelders.

edited to correct math error

Last edited:
I hatched 7 of 8 eggs on Sept 16 with three whites and four blacks, to begin my fall breeding. These are from 3 different DCs than before but under the same WC. Too soon to tell much, but happy with them so far. One white [sitting on the roost] is the first cross-variety that looks to be white without any black showing.

LOVE the white one squatting on the perch BEST and the black cockerel with the yellowish legs second best.
Thank you. They're way too young for me to pick and choose. I culled pretty heavy on my oldest, have some younger yet, even though some were stolen, to go through. These and anything else hatched this fall will be kept until they grow out before any of them are culled or sold.

I picked these two pullets up today at a show. Kicked my fanny all the way home I didn't buy a roo.
Congratulations, and yes, it is a shame that you that didn't get the male when you had the opportunity. Quality large fowl Cornish are so rare, at least around here, that someone has resorted to stealing both my purebreds and culls. Most of the juveniles they stole aren't worth the effort of getting them back, but Jefferson Co law enforcement may be able to get my three good DC hens and their offspring back if any are still alive.

I picked these two pullets up today at a show. Kicked my fanny all the way home I didn't buy a roo.
It is a good thing the National show in Columbus is next week, you can go over and get you a nice roo if anyone is selling.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom