Cornish Thread

Pics
i'm looking to get some bantam cornish eggs next year. does anyone have any that they will be selling next year? if so can you please send me pics of your stock and your prices for eggs including shipping thank you.
I have often thought about this why not spend a little extra on getting quality breeder birds and hatching out chicks for the season, to me you are giving yourself the original breeders and more to choose from in the fall than if you buy a doz eggs and have even ten of them hatch out and not be able to really select birds until your second year. If the answer is cost I would sill think it is cheaper over the course of the year to have breeders in the fall to spring and have extras to sell in the next fall. For us we spent $150 to get a trio of WLR this year, we hatched and raised around 30 chicks. We kept back 5 more pullets, 2 more ckls and sold about 15 bird from any where between $15-20 a bird and have a couple more that may still end up in the freezer . this made up the cost for the original trio and going into the second year, I now have a flock of 7 females and 3 males going into year two, giving me 10 quality breeders vs. what i may have got out of doz eggs that i may have paid $40 for.

Just some food for thought.

Quote:
goodpost.gif
I never thought of it that way, but it does make sense...

I have often thought about this why not spend a little extra on getting quality breeder birds and hatching out chicks for the season, to me you are giving yourself the original breeders and more to choose from in the fall than if you buy a doz eggs and have even ten of them hatch out and not be able to really select birds until your second year.  If  the answer is cost I would sill think it is cheaper over the course of the year to have breeders in the fall to spring and have extras to sell in the next fall.  For us we spent $150 to get a trio of WLR this year, we hatched and raised around 30 chicks. We kept back 5 more pullets, 2 more ckls and sold about 15 bird from any where between $15-20 a bird and have a couple more that may still end up in the freezer . this made up the cost for the original trio and going into the second year, I now have a flock of 7 females and 3 males going into year two, giving me 10 quality breeders vs. what i may have got out of doz eggs that i may have paid $40 for.   

Just some food for thought.

I willl take this one further. Most serious breeders I know with quality stock will NOT sell hatching eggs. Their reputation as a breeder is on the line and they will not let any birds go that are less than the quality they want to be seen, shown and reproduced.

In other words, the only way to get the best quality birds is to buy adults.

I willl take this one further. Most serious breeders I know with quality stock will NOT sell hatching eggs. Their reputation as a breeder is on the line and they will not let any birds go that are less than the quality they want to be seen, shown and reproduced.
In other words, the only way to get the best quality birds is to buy adults.
I think you will probably find this to be true moreso with Cornish than any other breed out there. If a breeder has good quality, they tend to keep it for themselves rather than chance selling to someone who will just make a mess of things and attach the original breeder's name to it. Some I am sure just do it to prevent competition, but I think more fit in the former group.

i more or less want a few for my kids to show in 4-h but want to try to avoid buying from a hatchery and i also like raising my own from chicks to socialize to the cats and dogs along with getting used to being handled by the kids. the over all winner (best in show) at the fair this year was a bantam dark cornish and the reserve was a rir.

the rir
546360_187099921425801_1684766130_n.jpg

the cornish
374055_187099371425856_1438074411_n.jpg

Last edited:
The best way for a beginner to get quality birds is to join the ICBA and talk with the club members. Most are very freindly, helpful and eager to help a beginner get some quality birds. It took me years to find good quality birds and they were not cheap. Anyone who really has raised quality birds knows that cornish quality can be lost very quickly and a really good bird takes a lot of culls but there are tips that can be used when breeding that have nothing to do with the choice of birds to use but more with the methods of breeding and these things are invaluable and true... I have done it after being told by a few great cornish breeders. The best rooster I ever owned I paid 12.00 for at a pigeonhole auction in rural oregon and my best hen was 150.00 from a well know breeder and she was a proven show winner and my timing on her was sheer luck.

I sell eggs here on BYC and other sites some are from my DC pen and they are quality birds but are random selection and this give people at least a chance at great birds or simply a foundation to build on. I do not sell by specific matings eggs... there is a difference.

Turtle is seven months (I think)...He just started crowing like five days ago...My question is are cornish roos aggressive?.... how are they with the hens?

hi schipperkesue !! i see you are here as well, this forum is a lil more happening and i find it more informative than the canadian ones we have! LOL
D.gif
esp with the cornish as not many people have them here!

Well, hi there Triple J! You and I may be battling it out at the next show! I just got some pretty nice LF white Cornish! I will try to get some pictures tomorrow. Only problem....they come from a breeder that has his coop at 15 degrees Celsius. Needless to say they are in the basement right now. We are expecting some - 20 nights this week. Not the time to acclimatize them!

Back
Top Bottom