Cornish x gone down

jmschristiansen

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 28, 2008
Parker County, Texas
I just went out, put my RIR and BR in the coop, and let the Cornish x's out of the tractor (they share a yard, and tend to fight, so they take turns now). One of my Cornish just sat there, in the corner of the tractor, while the other 27 ran out. I picked him up, he doesn't seem to be injured, no marks or anything, but he just sits there with his legs out in front of him. I put some feed in front (almost between his feet) and he started eating, so he hasn't lost his appetite (can a cornish x lose it's appetite??).

Overall, seems normal, other than not wanting to jump up and run away with all the others.

Any ideas?

They are all 4 weeks old, eat starter / grower mix, with some scratch grain mixed in recently, (just started that in the last 3 days), and all the bugs, grass and veggie scraps they can forage from the yard & compost pile.

Thanks in advance,

James

* Wondering if the scratch is suspect!! Cannot remember for the life of me what I've read on the topic at the moment-- even what that butt-sitting symtom is called!!! aarrghh!
somad.gif
:smack!! Might ask the mods for a re-title though-- stating the butt-sitting symptom.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I just went out and looked at him again, he was still sitting in the same spot. Then the dog ran near to him (outside the fence) and startled him into moving.

He moved about 3 - 4 feet (back into the tractor).

All the rest are still out running around on the grass, so I put some feed right in front of him again, and he is eating still. Back to sitting on his bum, legs out in front.

*Better put some water, and some oyster shell grit there, too and add some electrolytes to the water. If he gets dehydrated it'll be that much tougher to get him better.

Thanks for the suggestions, d.k. now (three days later) he is still sitting on his bum, eating & drinking. I made up a little "sling" for him, and he sits in that all day, propped up.

He doesn't seem to be getting any worse, nor have any of the other 27 come down. So I am hoping it is something physical wrong with his hips or back, and not some sort of illness or disease.

If he does die, or get worse to the point that I have to euthanize him, then we will send him for a necropsy.

If you have any suggestions, I am open.

*You need to do a site search on this, J.-- cuz I'm "That Positive" I've seen this symtom posted b/f and the answer in most cases was something simple, like not enough vit. E in the diet. I do know you need to be cautious letting root in the compost pile. Too many molds and bacteria there. . .

* J!!! I FOUND IT!!! Silkie Sue, " Hen Sitting On Her Butt" O3/O8/2OO8. It's a bloodstream level calcium deficency. NEAR the end of the thread, Sammi gives instructions for a hand-rolled feeding diet--- but the gist is he needs a **crushed TUMS** and 3 drops Poly-Vi-Sol by beak with the diet. I'm gonna e-m you to check this out.

Last edited:
Cornish X are notorious for developing leg problems due to them growing so fast they sort of 'outgrow' their legs.

Their bones can't keep up with the high growth. They end up with exactly what you describe - sitting with their legs out to the front or side.

If that is the issue here, it won't get any better - the best thing to do is cull. Are you planning on eating these guys?

Back
Top Bottom