Cornish X Jumbo

wrfuzz

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 9, 2011
I want to produce the same Cornish X jumbo chicks that get to be 4 to 6 lbs in 8 weeks. What kinds of chickens are used to make these?

I crossed a dark cornish rooster with a white plymouth rock hen and got a black and white chick. How long will it take for these chicks to get 5 lbs?

If you want to raise birds that perform like Cornish Cross, you buy the chicks.

As for your Dark Cornish crossed with a white Plymouth Rock, you'll have to wait and see. Keep track of weights and feed usage and get back to us and let us know.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

A friend and I were talking about this the other night...why is it that they can get pictures of Brittny Spears having a break down and shaving her head bald, track down terrorists in foreign countries, basically get pics and info on everyone anytime you ever want doing things they mean to keep secret where celebrities are involved....publicizing phone calls and such meant private....and NO ONE - NOT ONE PERSON - has ever leaked the "secret formula" to breeding CRX? ???

With all the information leaking, and as many times as I have seen it questioned here...you would think someone would be sneaking the parent birds out as chicks or even eggs in their pocket or SOMETHING like that and charging outrageous prices for the info! Can you imagine it? The person who breaks them outta "broiler chicken breeding jail" would probably make enough off of BYCers to retire to hiding down in the Caribbean and own an island!

I could see the post now "Psstt...don't tell...pm me for the broiler code..." and then we would never hear from them again
sad.png

But really, our new theory is this: Either they have radioactive spiders that bite the parent birds, thus making the eggs they lay like Spider Man with super chicken powers...or they are just really some crazy inbreeding experiment and no one wants us to know! Like that movie..."The Hills Have Eyes"...a little radiation AND inbreeding covered up by the government! Then she said maybe Area 51 was really the broiler chicken development grounds and aliens never were there...and the conversation deteriorated into a fit of giggles and incoherency...

Actually...we just had too much wine that night...but it was a fun conversation we had
smile.png
We have given up on anything except buying the chicks to raise in our sobriety...but if anyone ever cracks the code or leaks the secret...I'll be there taking notes!

Quote:
IMO the original crosses aren't as important as the 50 years of developement going into improoving each of the parent lines used by each corporation now useing them to produce the terminal generation fed for the purpose of meat production. Even if you could acquire the parent lines, they have nearly the same propencity for rapid growth and the associated health problems as the terminal generation we buy to feed; they would require intensive feed management just to keep alive and capable of reproduction. If you're looking to produce a chicken capable of attaining processing weights in 7 weeks, bear in mind that those already developed over the past 50/60 years are comeing from parent lines developed by experienced geneticists and those lines require very strict feed management to keep them alive for 60 weeks or less.

SteveH - I know, we wouldn't ever really embark on something like that here - but we had fun discussing it! (And finishing that bottle of wine
wink.png
)

I do applaud people that try things out and experiment - the best part about chickens is no matter what it is edible, maybe scrawny or a little funny looking, but still edible and therefor not really a waste or unwanted thing, like so many of the larger critters you see plastered all over craigslist. I would far rather see someone experimenting with breeding and genetics in chickens than horses - I myself am content to stick with other things, like pigs or goats, for my own breeding and playing around...BUT...if someone should ever sneak off the right eggs/chicks from the parent stock of the broilers...you have to admit...we would ALL be glued to the news that night!

Can you imagine it? "Eggs stolen from top secret hatchery! No more chicken at KFC!" They would REALLY have to hype it up to get people to watch it...but I would be game for another bottle of wine while we watched the news and BYC that night!

I have an old book , from the 70s I think that talks about raising livestock, actually high school text book... in that book, they have pictures of the 'current' day broiler breeders...

It actually shows cocks with a pea comb, and hens with a straight... The female breeder bird, is actually a white bodied bird, with black leakage, or splashing all over. The book states, that those birds (CX), are a comb of C and Rock and NHampshire and a few others possible...

In almost 2 weeks, I'll see if i can scan those pictures and post them to here for all to see...

Back
Top Bottom