Cornish X or Standard????

jessicayarno

Songster
8 Years
Oct 6, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I have raised the red broilers and wasn't impressed, took them to processing at 18wks and some still weren't ready weighing in at 2.5lbs!! I am on my first batch of cornish X that i got yesterday and one died already, I know it's normal, and the hatchery said to expect to lose a few.... I really would like people's opinions on what they prefer and why... I am new at raising chickens, other than having them as a kid.. I have a multi-racial flock of laying hens right now and would like to know if maybe i could just breed my own meat birds that are going to yeild a good size bird without dumping a ton of food into them...
Thanks..

Cornish X are broilers, I've never done red broilers are they freedom rangers? All of my CX's get pretty big in 8 weeks up 7 -8 lbs sometimes heavier. I have Freedom Rangers right now and they go for 12 weeks and should weigh the same.

some people call the ones that i had freedom rangers, but they were no where near ready by 12wks, which is what i was told... they were eating me out of house and home and i do not believe they are cost effective... why did you decide to go with the rangers?? did you have problems with the cornish x??
thanks

I like both of them. My Amish neighbor likes the Freedom Rangers and we went in together on them. I have no problem with them eating a lot either. (probably because I only do 11 at a time) I feed all my meat birds Purina Start and Grow from the beginning to the end, I feel they feather better, even the CX's. My chicks are 3 weeks old and they are a good size, Haven't weighed them but they are growing like weeds. They eat less then 1 to 2 lbs a day (12 on 12) and free range. They've been out in a pen with a light at night only since 1 1/2 weeks. I like the broilers for meat, but they eat a lot and I make them free range too.

Back
Top Bottom