Cornish X or Standard????

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jessicayarno, Oct 6, 2011.

1. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I have raised the red broilers and wasn't impressed, took them to processing at 18wks and some still weren't ready weighing in at 2.5lbs!! I am on my first batch of cornish X that i got yesterday and one died already, I know it's normal, and the hatchery said to expect to lose a few.... I really would like people's opinions on what they prefer and why... I am new at raising chickens, other than having them as a kid.. I have a multi-racial flock of laying hens right now and would like to know if maybe i could just breed my own meat birds that are going to yeild a good size bird without dumping a ton of food into them...
    Thanks..

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Cornish X are broilers, I've never done red broilers are they freedom rangers? All of my CX's get pretty big in 8 weeks up 7 -8 lbs sometimes heavier. I have Freedom Rangers right now and they go for 12 weeks and should weigh the same.

3. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    some people call the ones that i had freedom rangers, but they were no where near ready by 12wks, which is what i was told... they were eating me out of house and home and i do not believe they are cost effective... why did you decide to go with the rangers?? did you have problems with the cornish x??
    thanks

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I like both of them. My Amish neighbor likes the Freedom Rangers and we went in together on them. I have no problem with them eating a lot either. (probably because I only do 11 at a time) I feed all my meat birds Purina Start and Grow from the beginning to the end, I feel they feather better, even the CX's. My chicks are 3 weeks old and they are a good size, Haven't weighed them but they are growing like weeds. They eat less then 1 to 2 lbs a day (12 on 12) and free range. They've been out in a pen with a light at night only since 1 1/2 weeks. I like the broilers for meat, but they eat a lot and I make them free range too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by