Cornish X Rooster pictures (2 to 6 weeks of age)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chickenmama22, Oct 6, 2007.

1. chickenmama22

chickenmama22 Songster

Aug 29, 2007
    Quote:Yes, Cathy, it's true. However, they have their mouths open in that picture because they were hot. It was a hot day and they were feeling it! They may not look that "cute" but they seem healthy overall.

I have been removing their food trays each night and giving them back in the morning. They act so "starved" that you'd think they'll stampede each other to death just to get to the food!

They eat and poop a lot! I have been adding to the litter in their pen by raking up wood chips to add another few inches to the floor. We have a chipper / shredder and used it to chop up tree limbs that needed trimming.

I can't wait to weigh them again this week!
    Nancy

2. chickenmama22

chickenmama22 Songster

Aug 29, 2007
    Ok, here they are again at 5 weeks! They average 4.0 pounds each with the lightest one at 3 lbs 3 oz and the heaviest one is 4 lbs 11 oz. One of the lightweights is a female, the rest are supposed to be roos. They are supposed to weigh 4 1/2 lbs at 5 weeks, but they did gain an average of 21oz this past week. Guess I can't complain!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think they look delicious! Oh, I think you can see a female in the last picture (on the right). Do you agree?

Nancy

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

My they do look juicy. Yeah, thats a girl on the right. I bet they didn't gain that extra half lb due to the fact they are allowed to walk around and breathe fresh air. They can watch the sun rise and fall rather than eat all day and night in a large shed.

4. chickenmama22

chickenmama22 Songster

Aug 29, 2007
    Yeah, they do get a bit more than 1 square foot per bird. I actually have them in the greenhouse since it's unheated. I open the door during the day and we remove a few window panes each morning. It works for now though my sister told me she almost fried her chicks in their greenhouse.

5. okiechick57

okiechick57 Songster

Quote:[​IMG] you are hilarious !

6. NS2A

NS2A Songster

Jun 11, 2007
    Minnesota
    Have you lost any?

I thought about ordering Cornish X from Welp's in the spring - 25 to start.

But I've read the death rate on fast growing chickens is high. Or at least was years ago.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Wow!

Mine are a week old tomorrow.

8. Heidi

Heidi Songster

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Kind of funny how their feathers are coming in. Too bad all the feathers will be in around butchering time - could have saved you time if they were still 1/2 naked. [​IMG]

9. chickenmama22

chickenmama22 Songster

Aug 29, 2007
    Quote:No, thankfully, we haven't lost any yet. I don't know how so many die in the statistics... maybe it's from having 1000's at a time?? I could see them dying off in the summer from the heat. They really feel the heat and start panting. I am feeding them vitamins and electrolytes and a 20% protein "Flock Raiser" food (nothing else). So far all their legs seem strong and no "flips" yet.

I am quite happy with the Welp's roosters we got. I spent an evening comparing rooster and hen weights, prices, shipping costs, etc before I decided on Welps. I estimate a live cost / pound around 75 cents assuming they gain 1 pound for every 2 pounds of food.

Too bad all the feathers will be in around butchering time - could have saved you time if they were still 1/2 naked.

Actually, I think they are half neked [​IMG] When they raise their wings, you can see chicken meat! It's the oddest thing, but you don't have to stretch your imagination to see that they ARE food! I just tried a foodnetwork / Emeril Roast Chicken recipe on a storebought bird and it was delish! Can't wait to try it on my own chicken!

Nancy​

10. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Songster

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Their legs are huge! Thanks for posting these pictures... I've never seen the 'meat' birds this old!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: