Cornish x ?'s

dadof4

Songster
11 Years
Aug 30, 2008
mississippi
I know, I know-They Die. Here is my question. I started this year with 50 cornish x's. I ordered from the same hatchery that I got my broilers from last year and have brood them the same way I did last year. Last year NO leg problems and one death. This year I am down to 7 dead and 6 that are down on their legs. At three weeks old I am not sure what to do with the ones that are down. They still eat and drink-they just won't move to do it.
Would you contact the hatchery-if not for anything else just to let them know?

What kind of feed are you feeding them ?? Feeding schedule ??? Temps while shipping ?? Temps at your place ?? Brooder cleaned and disinfected 100% ??

To me sounds like you are feeding them too much, from the leg problems ?? Or you got a bad batch ??? But really 7 out 50 this time of year is not that bad on them things. the average death rate with them is 10% is what to expect. as long as you don't loose anymore !!

I feed a 24% starter from TSC. Temps are fine as is sanitation. I only feed twice a day-once in the morning and again in the late afternoon. I don't feed them at night only water them. I really feel like I got a bad batch. From the get go they seemed almost stiff legged when they walked.
My main question is if I should contact the hatchery.

I'm having the same problem. Last year NO deaths. This year at three weeks 3 out of 20 have died and all after two weeks of age. I am treating them the same as I treated last years. They don't walk well either, however they're not actually DOWN yet.

What gives?

Contact the hatchery- they may credit you for the ones that died- I know McMurray does anyway. I would say that isn't outrageous numbers of overall death for a group of 50, but considering it's only week three (I've found that most of them die AFTER week three,) you may be in a bit of trouble. That plus the leg problems is cause for disapointment for sure.

To be more complete I should have stated that because of the huge demand for chicks this year I rushed to the farm store where I bought mine maybe only within and hour of their arrival there. So the were in transit for two days and then no more than settled there and had to adjust all over again within an hour or so to my brooder. I felt if I didn't get them right away they would be gone. In retrospect it probably wasn't the best way to do it.

The hatchery they came from has always had good stock and this is my first bad experience. I also bought 25 layers that day and they are thriving. Meat chicks are a little harder to raise because of the high mortality rate.

CAlled this morning. They really had nothing to say-kinda saw that coming. Live and learn, I'm going to reduce thier feed intake and see if that helps. One of the ones that was down bit it this morning.

Back
Top Bottom