Cornish X secret revealed! Ran across this and wondered if it is true.

Cowgirlgrace

Songster
10 Years
Jan 1, 2010
Puget Sound, Washington
Sorry, I can't remember where I saw this on the internet but I did write it down and got curious to ask about it.

This site said this was the Cornish X formula. I know it's supposed to be a heavily guarded secret but maybe some disgruntled employee leaked it. Who knows! Thought I would share and see what others thought.

Indian Game Cock (Cornish) to Leghorn hen - keep the hens

RIR cock to White Wyandotte hen- keep the cocks

Breed the saved hens to the cocks and save the hens

Breed those hens to a Plymouth rock cock -Wallah! supposed to be THE Cornish Cross

Am curious also, if this is true, which cross adds the fast growth?

Quote:
That is not what the Cornish cross is today.

That mix of genetics might make an interesting meat bird, but it will not be the same broiler sold as a Commercial Broiler by the hatcheries in the USA. The broiler breeder companies in the USA spend MILLIONS of dollare per year on genetic selection and breeding programs to produce birds that meet specific market requirements.

Last edited:
That could be the formula.. but I doubt it reads like, "Any old Cornish roo to any old Leghorn," etc. I'd be betting that if it really is done this way, there are particular lines of each of these breeds that are used, not just any line, or not even just any good line.

I'd be really surprised if you ended up with a Cornish Cross type of bird, but I sure hope you will try it and let us know how it works.

I'd rather buy the Cornish Cross chicks than to keep all that breeding stock.

Quote:
I know I won't be trying it. Thats way too many birds for me to work with and keep around. It would also be difficult and time consuming to find just the right stock. You definately wouldn't be useing hatchery!

Still, if we could just isolate the fast maturing gene we could get so far on our projects. Seems silly all these projects and the majority of people know nothing of genetics. Myself included. Sure is an adventure though. Just think there has got to be some genetics expert out there who might have a general idea who doesn't work for these companies. We are coming up with some nice meaty birds, they just take too long to mature then end up being tough.

Hmmm. Only two of the breeds in the formula you mentioned have the white gene. All Cornish X are white. Someone who knows genetics would need to sit down and figure out if the white gene would carry through to the end result in your formula. My gut feeling is it would not, but certainly, I could be wrong.

What about caponizing those "nice meaty birds" wouldn't that be the way to go? Sure they take longer but they wouldn't get tough. And from my experience and persective with starting White Rocks and White Giants to 6-8 wks they grow fairly fast anyway. My white giants were at least 32oz. at 8 weeks so if you wanted game hens....

That is absolutely not true in any way whatsoever. That series of crosses will not, WILL NOT, give you what you get when you buy a cornish cross. The genetics of even simple things like comb, feather color, etc, don't add up. All nonsense. This issue has been gone over 100 times on this site, exactly what the cornish cross is. There is NO SECRET. All you need is 50 years, professional geneticists, the best show stock, millions of dollars, and millions of birds hatched.
wink.png
There is no secret formula, just generations of hard work, and millions of dollars invested.

Quote:
Ok Ok, I got it. It was worth a try. I titled the topic as such so I could get some responses. All I can go by is what I read. I've read it's a heavily guarded secret and now no secret at all. If it's all been gone over 100 times on BYC well sorry, I'm new to the Meat section and don't have time to read EVERYTHING. Maybe nice to refresh old discussion for newbies who don't have time to read everything also.

So no genetic expert out there have any thoughts on the fast growth besides it just being a freakish mutation or selective breeding costing millions? Just thought there might be a bird out there that leans towards faster maturing but also has some size to use. I'm not looking to replicate the Cornish cross. Just want something thats meaty enough to process at around 4 months. Caponizing sounds like it would work but not sure I'm confident enough to try it. Wouldn't want to accidently cut the wrong thing. I'd hate to sacrifice some lives to experiment with. I would need someone to show me who knows. Videos don't work for me. I don't know anyone around here who does it.

I have read posts of people raising up the Cornish X to use on various hens but have not read anything about results on how that worked out. If there is a post or topic that someone knows about can you direct me to it?

Maybe I'll just get some Freedom Rangers!

Back
Top Bottom