Cornish X secret revealed! Ran across this and wondered if it is true.

If people are interested in the topic, a book called "big chicken" is a great read and goes over this topic as well as many other corporate chicken topics and history in great detail.

All cornish cross lines originate from a contest held by Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company in 1946-51 which was held to determine a meat breed of chicken that could hold its own in the world of commercialized poultry, which was the way things were headed in that time. A&P was the first chicken monopoly.

(This quote is from a blog article, not the book) "Farmers and breeders from across the country took part, submitting eggs for hatching at specially built facilities where the chicks were hatched and raised in controlled conditions on a standard diet. The chicks were closely tracked and monitored for weight gain, health and appearance. After 12 weeks, the birds were slaughtered weighed and judged for edible meat yield. In 1946 and 1947, a series of state and regional contests took place and from them 40 finalists were chosen to compete for the national title of Chicken of Tomorrow. In 1948, and again in 1951, Arbor Acres White Rocks won in the purebred category. The white feathered Arbor Acres birds were preferred to the higher preforming dark feathered Red Cornish crosses from the Vantress Hatchery. Eventually the two breeds were crossed to become the Arbor Acre breed that came to dominate the genetic stock of chicken worldwide."
https://www.iatp.org/blog/201303/how-the-chicken-of-tomorrow-became-the-chicken-of-the-world#:~:text=The “Chicken of Tomorrow” contest,conditions on a standard diet. if you want to read the whole article

All cornish cross chickens originate from the genetic lines of the contest winers and have been bred and selected in the years since then to create the monsters we have now. I'm not sure why any would want to replicate them.

Sorry, I can't remember where I saw this on the internet but I did write it down and got curious to ask about it.

This site said this was the Cornish X formula. I know it's supposed to be a heavily guarded secret but maybe some disgruntled employee leaked it. Who knows! Thought I would share and see what others thought.

Indian Game Cock (Cornish) to Leghorn hen - keep the hens

RIR cock to White Wyandotte hen- keep the cocks

Breed the saved hens to the cocks and save the hens

Breed those hens to a Plymouth rock cock -Wallah! supposed to be THE Cornish Cross

Am curious also, if this is true, which cross adds the fast growth?
This was how the white chantecler chickens was originally bred.

Back
Top Bottom