Cornish X - When are they allowed to free range?

Thank you! I ended up setting up a temporary fence until all of the animals get to know each other. These chicks are very interesting and smarter than people give them credit for. We still bring them up to the garage during the night to give us peace of mind. They absolutely LOVE finding ants and "hunting" flying bugs. My Cornish X chicks do not follow me though. I'm not sure why they do not quite like me.
hit.gif
I think someone told them that they are going to be eaten in five weeks. Poor little birdies. I guess it is for the best so I do not get attached to them. I fret the day when I have to take the market turkeys in for butchering.

Thank you! I ended up setting up a temporary fence until all of the animals get to know each other. These chicks are very interesting and smarter than people give them credit for. We still bring them up to the garage during the night to give us peace of mind. They absolutely LOVE finding ants and "hunting" flying bugs. My Cornish X chicks do not follow me though. I'm not sure why they do not quite like me.
hit.gif
I think someone told them that they are going to be eaten in five weeks. Poor little birdies. I guess it is for the best so I do not get attached to them. I fret the day when I have to take the market turkeys in for butchering.
In two weeks they will be following you everywhere loving food lady! Don't cry now. They are like piranha and I'm positive they would eat me if I tripped and fell. Mine are going on 5 weeks old and I am going to have to stop taking care of them in flip flops before I lose a toe.
tongue.png

In two weeks they will be following you everywhere loving food lady! Don't cry now. They are like piranha and I'm positive they would eat me if I tripped and fell. Mine are going on 5 weeks old and I am going to have to stop taking care of them in flip flops before I lose a toe.
tongue.png
LOL! They sound like my market turkeys! Mine love pant strings the most. Hand feeding is also a problem. They always try to go for my fingers first and then they will try to eat whatever I am giving them. However, they can easily put my entire finger in their mouth. Hopefully they start to like me.

Mine aren't dirty either. .I can't free range because I can't separate from my other flock, but they have a large covered run and a movable tractor (dog kennel). I have to rake the run 2 x a day. I can't imagine not cleaning everyday. But I also rake out the big girls run daily too. I think a lot of the icky associated with chickens is just not managing poo well. Their run is their toilet. It has to be cleaned or it will smell like a septic tank.
The only thing I have noticed with my Cornish X is some of them constantly have dirty butts and they are bald under their wings and on their bellies. I just trim the butt feathers and spray with warm water.

Biggest issue is keeping their home clean.

Back
Top Bottom