Cornish X white vs hybred red or black

maf2008

Songster
12 Years
Feb 19, 2009
I have heard that white crosses have lots of problems. Does anyone have problems with red/black cornish rocks? I think they are sold at Ideal Poultry but sold out until fall 2009

Red/Black cornish x they grow slower. Does anyone like them better/worse? What other breeds crosses are good for frying/baking? what is the fastest growing broiler without problems

Let me know if you can sell broiler eggs and the breed or crossbred of chickens pictures appreciated.
celebrate.gif

In the April/May 2009 volume of Backyard Poultry they have a special section all about alternatives to the cornish cross. My husband and I are going to buy some "colored" versions and see how it goes. They are supposed to be slightly slower growing and not have any of the leg problems that are associated with the white cornish cross. We don't eat the skin anyways, so if it's not whitish/yellow, it won't matter. Some people don't like it though which is why it seems the colored ones are not as popular. Good luck though, hope this helps.

FYI I just went onto the Ideal Poultry website and they have the Black Broiler straight runs available now and the Red Broiler straight runs available starting the first week in June.

Last edited:
I think the Ideal broilers are different than the ones in the BY Poultry mag article. The ones in that article, I believe, were the ones from jmhatchery.

I have 100 of the jmhatchery colored rangers coming next week! (Fortunately, 90 of them are leaving immediately with other people who bought into my order.)

(edit for grammar)

Last edited:
We bought white Cornish X on March 2 (McMurray), processed them at 42 days. All weighed in at 3.5 to 4 lbs. Legs and breasts skinned.
No leg problems, but... Next time they will have an outside run at the earliest opportunity. Also we will process at about 35-37 days or there abouts, dependent on the above.

Back
Top Bottom