Cornish X with black feathers?

blueskylen

Songster
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
WV
hi,

i've been raising cornish x for 4 years now, and this is the first year that i received any that didn't feather out pure white. this year there are several of my 40 with a small amount of black feathers - a few spread here or there on their bodies. i am wondering what breed might have been used ?

The Cobb-Vantress strains of broiler chickens quite often have black, and red, flecking in the feater pigmentation. It is a marker of the product.
Cobb-Vantress is owned by Tyson so nearly all of the birds they raise are colored a bit and so are the many they sell to others.
Not a thing to worry about. They have the genetic capability to perform very well.

Where did you get them from? I also got a couple with a few black feathers this year. I have never had that is 12 yrs of raising them. I got mine from Mt. Healthy for the first time this year. They are doing fine at four weeks they are weighing 4lbs 1 oz.
woot.gif

I have a roo from Meyer with a few black smudges that have been there since I got him. He was the biggest for the first two weeks until a different one took the lead!

I Purchased them from Meyers - they are growing and filling out great and will be going to the processor on May 16th. Actually sending them a bit earlier than 8 weeks because they are doing so well, and don't want them to get too big and maybe have fluid in the cavity. have cut down on their feed - 12 hrs on 12 hrs off - since they were 2 weeks and have still had this good growth. we are very pleased with them, just got confused by the colored feathers and wondered how they were bred.

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom