Cornish X

Thanks
smile.png

I'm in Kane.

Ty Itsy. I have had about half of the people that have answered say hens and half roosters lol. Looking at the picture with the little knowledge I have, I would have to agree with rooster. But then with the, again, little knowledge I have about feathering, I would go with hen....
hmm.png

OSU,

I have no idea. The " owner" said about a month old but not sure that was correct.

Quote:
Cool, whether its a male or female make sure it has lots of room to roam ( looks like you already have that covered) and have it so that it can only have access to feed a couple hours a day but have access to grass and water all day.

Quote:
ok i was thinking it was a little older, it might be a rooster then, I have some of the same age, but they will be taken to butcher some time this week.

If you feel you must keep it, limit it to a handful of mash, crumbles or grain daily, maybe a bit of fresh vegetables like extra tomatoes or melon, and allow it to eat only whatever else it finds growing. If it's only 4 weeks it's a male, and already getting too large for its own good, even though it looks healthy now. They'll live a year and more but only if you have the heart to severely limit its feed, which means not allowing it at the feeders with the others, but it can range with them the rest of the time. Here's a male at 7 months, and though it lived to be a nearly year, it was eating too much because I attempted to strike a balance of how much feed to keep it the others both healthy by giving them all the wet mash they could eat in 15 to 30 minutes, twice daily, with browze the rest of the time.

44349_chickens_060.jpg

Last edited:
i got 2 roos and a hen that truned one yr in may of this year. most the hens were lost right after they laid an egg. i guess a heart attack from pushing out the egg. but the ones i have left are doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom