Coronation Sussex not thriving

cherylcohen

The Omelet Ranch
10 Years
Sep 18, 2009
SF East Bay CA
She's about 7 weeks and MUCH smaller than her hatch mates. She seems to eat, but whenever I feel her crop it's not bulging like the others. I'm wondering if her unusual beak can have something to do with her not getting enough food. Just gave her feed mash and scrambled eggs. She's eating but still a smaller crop.

She is very slow to mature, note the non-existant head feathers....

41441_dsc04031.jpg

this is her with a hatch mate

41441_2_coros.jpg

I have her in with some other coros that are 3 weeks younger, how do I trim her beak.....ack!

She is supposed to be part of my breeding program, so do I cull her?

If she is not a healthy thriving bird, then don't use her to breed.

If you want to try and keep her as a pet, you could just try and give her extra vits and food. Also keep her a bit warmer than the other birds.

You can clip her beak with nail clippers, there should be a "quick" kind of like a toe nail, so be careful.

definately not a lack of food issue, you'd be suprised at some of the beak deformations ive seen on normal sized birds... like bottom beak 90 degrees from the upper beak angle... that was sad to see. dont KILL that bird! im sure someone would want it! who knows, might be a late bloomer or might end up bantam sized for some strange reason. i hate when people kill their birds because it isnt up to breeding standards...

oh YIKES I didn't really mean cull her...What I typed and what was in my brain came out different!!
smile.png

I'll find a nice home for her for sure. My vet is coming over to pick up some hinkjc buff orps I just hatched and she said she will take a look at her and also work on her beak! I've contacted the breeder but he must be at the Ohio show...

Back
Top Bottom