Sour crop and grit

sonew-eggshellsonmyass

In the Brooder
May 31, 2023
I have a 7month old speckled Sussex. Noticed her chest was larger on Sunday, her crop felt squishy and didn’t empty over night. I have her in the run with her sisters in a large dog cage during the day and put her into the coop with the others at night. (There is no food or water in the coop, only the run).yesterday I gave her coconut oil which she likes, and left watery mash for her along with poultry cell water. She did eat some of the watery mash yesterday . Her crop still didn’t feel like it completely emptied overnight so I started giving her yeast meds this morning on a few pieces of scrambled eggs as I suspect sour crop. She has poultry cell water and fresh water in her cage today but I didn’t leave any mash for her hoping her crop will empty by the end of the day. Plan on giving her yogurt and scrambled eggs when I get home along with another dose of yeast med. My question is should I be offering her grit right now? Will it help or make it worse? Her run has native dirt with construction sand and they are fed layer feed with oyster shells in it. So she has had access to grit/sand before this happened. She did have watery diarrhea Sunday but it is starting to solidify a bit as of yesterday and this morning.

For future note, the oyster shell should be seperate from the feed or they dig around and waste the feed or get too much calcium.
They shouldn't need grit since they have a bit stored in the gizzard, where it's used. The coconut oil is unnecessary since it's just squishy not hard or impacted.

Thank you I thought that was correct with the grit in the gizzard but I have been researching sour crop and some mentioned offering grit but I felt like that would be counter productive to emptying an already possible inflamed crop. I do have some oyster shell on order for future use for the healthy hens.

For future note, the oyster shell should be seperate from the feed or they dig around and waste the feed or get too much calcium.
They shouldn't need grit since they have a bit stored in the gizzard, where it's used. The coconut oil is unnecessary since it's just squishy not hard or impacted.
At what point would you try to vomit a chicken with sour crop? I know that’s really dangerous but want to be prepared. She is acting ok, jumping up to roost with the other and down in the morning. I have her in a dog cage in the run during the day so she is separated but the others are around her, with electrolyte water and gave her the yeast meds on scrambled eggs with yogurt this morning. This was her 3rd dose of Miconazole. Her crop still felt full this morning. It’s squishy not hard so I’m still thinking sour crop not impacted. Will the med help to eventually empty her crop or if not do I vomit her at some point?

At what point would you try to vomit a chicken with sour crop? I know that’s really dangerous but want to be prepared. She is acting ok, jumping up to roost with the other and down in the morning. I have her in a dog cage in the run during the day so she is separated but the others are around her, with electrolyte water and gave her the yeast meds on scrambled eggs with yogurt this morning. This was her 3rd dose of Miconazole. Her crop still felt full this morning. It’s squishy not hard so I’m still thinking sour crop not impacted. Will the med help to eventually empty her crop or if not do I vomit her at some point?
Personally, I wouldn't ever do it. Let me see if I can get you some help.

Back
Top Bottom