Coronation Sussex Thread!

Pics
Great news:
At 18 days old, the large navel scab completely came off. It was there this morning & nothing's noticeable now. I allowed the two from my ICU to join the others in the grassy play yard. No scuffles, so they'll be sleeping in the garage tonight with the rest of chicks. I just checked & all is well.

Here is Hope now.

Now I hope Hope is a female.

Here's an updated pic of "Hope" turning 4 weeks. I'm not familiar with sexing this breed but am concerned about the pink tint of the comb.
Is this a pullet or roo?

This is best shot I got of the color.

Here's an updated pic of "Hope" turning 4 weeks. I'm not familiar with sexing this breed but am concerned about the pink tint of the comb.
Is this a pullet or roo?

This is best shot I got of the color.
Roo, has earlier color in hackles than females as well.

I can't wait to get this breed! For breeding do any of you keep a light Sussex around to reintegrate occasionally?

"Hope" is still around. Here he is at 7+ weeks old on a very hot day. Is there any hope of him being a pullet? My gut just says boy even though he's smaller/lighter than the EE pullets of same age. It's that red comb.

I can't wait to get this breed! For breeding do any of you keep a light Sussex around to reintegrate occasionally?
I also have lights. Need to occasionally breed them into the Coros for the lavender color. Otherwise it fades.

Do you guys know if it is more common for a Coronation Sussex to go broody or a Light Sussex?
Would be a huge help!
Thank you
wee.gif

Do you guys know if it is more common for a Coronation Sussex to go broody or a Light Sussex?
Would be a huge help!
Thank you :weee

:welcome
I couldn't say one way or the other, temperament wise they are the same. I can tell you that if you do let them sit it is wise to cut off all access to other hens. Sussex are a heavy breed and when they ' muscle down ' to protect their eggs from being taken over by another hen , the eggs don't fair well. Last year I lost several full term chicks to this , so now I let my silkie hatch them for me.

Back
Top Bottom