Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

We have three apple trees. We don't do much with them anymore. A young neighbor teen came over and asked if he could pick our front tree. All of the trees are loaded! He wanted to make apple juice. Got a nice full gallon of apple juice from him. I haven't had that in years. Forgot how good it was!

I wear a mask everywhere I go but unfortunately a lot of people are not responsible enough to. I even have to remind my coworkers in a healthcare facility to keep their mask on when talking to me or in my tiny office. I am on immunosuppressant and my parents are quite elderly So it does give me stress. Taiwan was much more aggressive in preventing spread and had less than 100 deaths while New York had 32,000.

Dang, wish I could get access to three trees of apples for a gallon of juice! I'd be HYPE! I'd do SO much with them all.... But I'm all about that self-sufficient lifestyle-y stuff.
Wish you were near! You could dry some, make apple cobbler, juice, oh yeah..the list goes on. What other things do you do with your self sufficient life style? ?? We do try and get some things to grow in a very small garden area. We also have a huge cherry tree, and the neighbors cherry tree hangs over our yard..oh..and the others neighbors apple trees hang over into our yard. 😁.

I ride the free township bus (for seniors /disabled) and we get our temperature taken BEFORE boarding. Have masks on - if someone forgets, the driver has extras. One person though always has the mask down below her nose. Yet, she is allowed to be on the bus with the rest of us, who do comply. She NEVER goes to a doctor or has had any shots. Pulls her own teeth too! :sick

We have social distancing, as much as possible, with the seating available. One person by the window, next row person by the aisle and so on. Better than nothing. The buses are not full sized vehicles.

Wish you were near! You could dry some, make apple cobbler, juice, oh yeah..the list goes on. What other things do you do with your self sufficient life style? ?? We do try and get some things to grow in a very small garden area. We also have a huge cherry tree, and the neighbors cherry tree hangs over our yard..oh..and the others neighbors apple trees hang over into our yard. 😁.

We buy from a local apple farm instead that sells for about $1/lb which is wacky inexpensive for around here and I always feel a little bad. We make apple butter and apple sauce and dried apples to give to friends as gifts, plus some pies. ;) Had a cherry tree in my parents yard growing up but it's gone now...

We do a lot of things with our self-sufficient lifestyle, but we're only on 1/4 acre. We have the chickens of course, and we own a huge herd of meat and fur rabbits. We tan the hides ourselves and sew with them - hats, slippers, bags... Breed the best and eat the rest. We do our own butchering too. We do meat chicken runs sometimes. Our organic garden, if you include the wild raspberries and NOT the wildflower stands and Squash Overflow Zones are around 450sqft and we start almost all our plants ourselves. Big compost piles from the chickens and rabbits feed the garden. Mulch with free arborist woodchips that age in our chicken pen. We save OP/heirloom seeds when we can (grew a lot of hybrids this year for a change). And we do canning, dehydrating and freezing. Sometimes if we can get a lot of free wood we turn off the heat and just chill by the fireplace in the winter, but it won't be that way this year. We do a LOT of upcycling and rescuing objects from the curbside.... We got a $150 compost tumbler in great condition recently that we keep meaning to give to my sister and haven't yet. (whoops) And we also just this past week picked up a bunch of modular plastic shelves for the basement, right when were were thinking about getting shelves for the basement, there they were... On the street...

Despite all of the progress we've made, we've come to the conclusion that no matter our best efforts no man or even household is an island, and so to keep bringing our needs in as locally as possible we're starting an intentional community with a bunch of like minded folks. We've got 501(c)3 status but everything's on a big hold right now because of the virus. We had this big inner city permaculture food forest thing planned but it fell apart when the virus hit and our trees went missing in the mail. We're looking at moving next year and expanding into things like trees, goats, cows, perennials. But all that takes time. Right now it's mostly a loose semi-local friends and family bartering group. Traded away some of our extra chicken meat from our extra cockerels for some blackberry kombucha syrup, and frozen pawpaw and cabbages from friends and it was great. :)

So... We do a lot. XD But it's always more of an ongoing goal rather than something with a definitive end.

We buy from a local apple farm instead that sells for about $1/lb which is wacky inexpensive for around here and I always feel a little bad. We make apple butter and apple sauce and dried apples to give to friends as gifts, plus some pies. ;) Had a cherry tree in my parents yard growing up but it's gone now...

We do a lot of things with our self-sufficient lifestyle, but we're only on 1/4 acre. We have the chickens of course, and we own a huge herd of meat and fur rabbits. We tan the hides ourselves and sew with them - hats, slippers, bags... Breed the best and eat the rest. We do our own butchering too. We do meat chicken runs sometimes. Our organic garden, if you include the wild raspberries and NOT the wildflower stands and Squash Overflow Zones are around 450sqft and we start almost all our plants ourselves. Big compost piles from the chickens and rabbits feed the garden. Mulch with free arborist woodchips that age in our chicken pen. We save OP/heirloom seeds when we can (grew a lot of hybrids this year for a change). And we do canning, dehydrating and freezing. Sometimes if we can get a lot of free wood we turn off the heat and just chill by the fireplace in the winter, but it won't be that way this year. We do a LOT of upcycling and rescuing objects from the curbside.... We got a $150 compost tumbler in great condition recently that we keep meaning to give to my sister and haven't yet. (whoops) And we also just this past week picked up a bunch of modular plastic shelves for the basement, right when were were thinking about getting shelves for the basement, there they were... On the street...

Despite all of the progress we've made, we've come to the conclusion that no matter our best efforts no man or even household is an island, and so to keep bringing our needs in as locally as possible we're starting an intentional community with a bunch of like minded folks. We've got 501(c)3 status but everything's on a big hold right now because of the virus. We had this big inner city permaculture food forest thing planned but it fell apart when the virus hit and our trees went missing in the mail. We're looking at moving next year and expanding into things like trees, goats, cows, perennials. But all that takes time. Right now it's mostly a loose semi-local friends and family bartering group. Traded away some of our extra chicken meat from our extra cockerels for some blackberry kombucha syrup, and frozen pawpaw and cabbages from friends and it was great. :)

So... We do a lot. XD But it's always more of an ongoing goal rather than something with a definitive end.
Wow! That's awesome, I mean that's just awesome. Now I wish I lived closer to you! When this ol body was feeling good, I'd be out helping with what I could.

Back
Top Bottom