Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

The toxic individualism
That sums up exactly what I am speaking up against when I politely request they wear it next time. I am tired of people thinking the rules don't apply to them and that they are special because they don't agree. Aren't these the law and order people? Didn't they LOVEE the government two months ago?
I know they can read and ignoring the seven signs from the CDC we post is disrespectful to every single person uncomfortably breathing their own burps and doing their part by wearing one. I have to wear the mask for 8 straight hours at work. They have to wear one for 8 mins max. Like I literally do not understand what the problem is???????

I appreciate you reaching out. This has me shook for humanity.

Last edited:
I was verbally abused THREE SEPARATE TIMES today for politely asking people to put masks on in the store that I work. I was told that I am "a brainwashed idiot. HEALTHY PEOPLE DON"T WEAR MASKS! Read the CDC guidelines (guidelines are posted in the store saying everyone over 5 y/o has to wear masks, no medical exemptions in New Hampshire.)
A separate person said I was "an ******** that promoted a tyrannical government and the fall of American values." This guy was wearing a firearm and attempting to intimidate me.

These both were reactions to me, after biting my tongue the whole time they shopped and ringing them up and being super polite, ask them to please wear a mask NEXT TIME they were in the store. I am so disgusted and disappointed right now. To me it is not about personal beliefs. Our establishment, in accordance with state mandates, requires a mask. Why do people think they can completely disregard the rules and still get the services we offer? If they don't want to wear a mask, they are free not to do that, but then don't expect to get the same privileges as people following the rules, like access to our store. I was kind and respectful to these people, and they immediately devolved into INSANE conspiracy like insults and name calling. It's frankly sad and terrifying to me.

Sorry for the rant. Just had to get this out. Am I crazy? Should I have just kept my mouth shut?
Try to keep this non political but the prob is what this country has been going through for over a yr now between cities burning, looting, defund police to the most recent capitol siege.
It's like we've been brought back in time to the 1800s!!!....
I'm personally anti mask, really don't think it makes a difference. But our state has a mask mandate I follow the rules. I wear it no biggie no prob. Most stores here everyone complies. About everywhere, from local small gas stations to big stores.
Only store I go to that I see non compliance is the Speedway town I work at, prob 50% no mask most days. Some local residents and some downstate NYC visitors/residents. Even though I know half the people that go there don't wear a mask I still do because it's the rule. I do for the people that think a mask makes a difference I do for the people that work there and have to also.
Our area has a pretty big presence of a local gas company Marabitos, they have one in our town every time I've been there everyone wearing a mask. Couple towns over a Mirabitos had a clerk ask a couple young guys to wear masks or they were not allowed service (someone else said it's like no shoes no shirt, (no mask) no service, that's how I feel it should be). The two left and came back with masks on, backwards on their heads she refused them service again and then got in a fight with her, knocked her down kicked her and spit on her.... The owner of Mirabitos publicly announced his stores were no longer going to enforce masks for employee safety.
I couldn't find a news article that was without subscription only but did find this one, like the last thing the author said; "I ask again. What the hell is going on with us?"
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw3QzK3T5I0DgtrVHdVi0K8Y&cshid=1614572387067

Ok, so I'm curious, but what is something you have ENJOYED from the covid-related changes? Not to make light of the disease or suffering, but to look on the bright side.

For me, one has been more time outside...I miss some of my indoor socializing/activities, but it's been good to be outdoors more.

Another is that I don't think we would have gotten chickens otherwise. They were an impulse "pre lockdown" purchase by my spouse...that we all loved.

Great question. We did a 3 month self quarantine very early before it was cool haha. It was wonderful. All of us at home with nowhere to be. Everyone as busy as they wanted to be with projects small and large. Plenty of time to listen and improve. Build and repair.

Are they not vaccinating in house where you work? At the hospital I work at, they vaccinated all employees that wanted it. I still can't get mine due to the side effects of having covid.
What side effects? I had Covid in January and I'm wondering how soon I can/should get vaccinated. At the hospital they told me being sick gave me immunity, probably for a couple of months, but I want it as soon as possible. Mine wasn't respiratory, it was digestive.

I was verbally abused THREE SEPARATE TIMES today for politely asking people to put masks on in the store that I work. I was told that I am "a brainwashed idiot. HEALTHY PEOPLE DON"T WEAR MASKS! Read the CDC guidelines (guidelines are posted in the store saying everyone over 5 y/o has to wear masks, no medical exemptions in New Hampshire.)
A separate person said I was "an ******** that promoted a tyrannical government and the fall of American values." This guy was wearing a firearm and attempting to intimidate me.

These both were reactions to me, after biting my tongue the whole time they shopped and ringing them up and being super polite, ask them to please wear a mask NEXT TIME they were in the store. I am so disgusted and disappointed right now. To me it is not about personal beliefs. Our establishment, in accordance with state mandates, requires a mask. Why do people think they can completely disregard the rules and still get the services we offer? If they don't want to wear a mask, they are free not to do that, but then don't expect to get the same privileges as people following the rules, like access to our store. I was kind and respectful to these people, and they immediately devolved into INSANE conspiracy like insults and name calling. It's frankly sad and terrifying to me.

Sorry for the rant. Just had to get this out. Am I crazy? Should I have just kept my mouth shut?
I'm so sorry to see what your day was like.... My hastag for them is #DAC #DarwinAwardContenders I came up with it way back in late March early April....

Also Corona viruses are RNA viruses.
That's true, thanks for the correction. So it does replicate and mutate faster than say, smallpox.

Still, the vaccines (at least the two commonly used, I don't know about the J&J one that just got approved) target the spike protein that allows the virus to attach to the cell wall, not the RNA itself, so the vaccines should still be effective.

Misinformation is an obstacle, indeed.
But one thing that people don't seem to be saying is that, for a while, at least, a "COVID death" was often recorded whenever a dead person tested positive for COVID -- regardless of how they died, whether it was a car crash or an overdose. That's why the numbers of COVID deaths are so high here in America -- no other country did that, so their COVID death tallies are lower. The death number is high here, so we're still enforcing lockdowns and such -- but how many of the dead actually died of COVID?
And before somebody fusses at me and accuses me of spreading misinformation and lies, think about this -- how do you know for sure that you haven't been lied to? Can you be certain? Heck, can any of us be certain? What makes your belief credible, and mine not?
Research. Research, research, research. Find several sites, several articles, several articles from various different sources.
Your post got me thinking, so I decided to see what's true by doing some math...

The death rate from all causes in 2019 was 869.7 deaths per 100,000 people according to the CDC, and 867.8 according to the National Center for Health Statistics, both sites that are pretty trustworthy. For 2020, they give the death toll from all causes at between 970 and 1034 per 100,000. Were there more people shooting each other, more car accidents? Probably not, because most of us were in lockdown. How about cancer and heart attacks? Well, between 1980 and 2018 deaths from all causes hovered between 840 - 880, but had a slight downward trend, probably because of advances in medical treatment and safety protocols. So why the sharp upward trend of deaths in 2020? Has there been some new thing that causes death in those numbers, besides covid? Or some reason why the more typical causes of death would have increased, besides overburdened hospitals due to covid?

Based on a population of about 330 million, in 2020 we had about 435,600 more total deaths than we would have expected, given the trends in recent years. This is 64,400 less than the 500,000 or so deaths attributed to covid, so you could be correct that some of the 500,000 deaths might not be directly caused by covid, even though the people were infected with covid.

Still, that's a huge increase in deaths, seeing as typical deaths in the past couple decades have ranged between 2.5 and 3 million. Numbers like that, I don't think can be attributed away to non-covid-related causes.

Ok, so I'm curious, but what is something you have ENJOYED from the covid-related changes? Not to make light of the disease or suffering, but to look on the bright side.

For me, one has been more time outside...I miss some of my indoor socializing/activities, but it's been good to be outdoors more.

Another is that I don't think we would have gotten chickens otherwise. They were an impulse "pre lockdown" purchase by my spouse...that we all loved.
I feel like a jerk admitting it, but I've enjoyed most things.

I should say first of all, both of us have been working at our same jobs the whole time, just doing protocols like masks, social distancing, wiping down workstations with bleach cloths, signing into the temperature station on our way in. No big deal at all, compared to so many people who've lost their jobs; have to deal with the public including loud, obnoxious, and dangerous anti-maskers; people who have school-age kids with schools closed; people who work from home and live in small apartments; those who can't go outside due to health conditions; and most of all, those who have lost somebody.

I feel really lucky to be working and doing OK, I have it better than most. I can only imagine how bad it is for so many people to have to deal with.

As a couple of oldster homebodies/introverts, we've enjoyed having a good excuse to avoid gatherings. I know, how jerkish...We've also enjoyed the general decrease in traffic, and "curbside pickup" at some stores, instead of fighting crowds. We've had more time to devote to building projects for the garden, chickens, planting trees. We're lucky enough to live on a couple acres, near town but also in walking distance of local trails, so it's been easy to get some change-of-scenery/recreation without having to change much.

I feel even more selfish about this, but we've really loved that my sister's dog Lily can't go home yet and has to stay fostering with us, because my sister lives in Canada and the border is still closed.

The main thing I don't like, is not being able to visit my Mom, who lives in an assisted-living place in Florida. But, at least she's gotten both her vaccines now, so I'm not as worried about her as I have been for the past year. I still miss her, though, as well as my aunts, uncles, and many cousins who live near her.

I also miss my sister, I can't wait to visit her at her new place in Canada. Except that also will mean her dog Lily will have to leave us when the Canadian border opens.

Back
Top Bottom