Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I don’t always agree with her views
I suspect there is very little her and I agree on, but I do wish her well. I think it is so important that we be challenged and called out on things. I know it is good for me to see things from different perspectives

As I began a load of wash, it hit me that people in apartments don’t typically have washer/dryer hookups. In NYC, people, including medical staff, are trying to use every item of clothing they own, and doing laundry in the sink or tub. Laundromats aren’t clean to begin with, they must be a nightmare now.

I think this past week the mental drain is setting in. All is ok here and I have plenty to keep us busy with kiddo's schooling, spring chores, sewing, and gardening...but the heaviness is getting palpable.

About 100 cases in my immediate area and quite a few deaths now. No real testing going on here so the cases are much higher I'm sure.
I know this is wearing on me. We’ve been warned here in Massachusetts that the surge is coming and I take that very seriously. Part of getting older is the frustration with the limitations that age puts on you regardless of how “fit” you feel you realize that you are still more vulnerable. So now my activities are evaluated by whether doing something would increase my chances of becoming ill. I think this is something younger folks might not be able to fully understand. This is not a video game where people come back to life in the next round or level.

There are always people (idiots!) who will take some drug, or inflict it on their animals, and have no idea if it's safe, or at what dosage. :(
Mary

So about fish meds. Hi. I'm one of those weirdos who has fish meds in my house for not fish. I haven't needed them since I went on medicaid (after the ACA passed) but I used to. I did some digging on this a long time ago when I didn't have insurance and I was going to urgent care for a reoccurring easily identifiable and treatable minor infection every 2-3 months. >_> Plenty of folks still fall in the medicare gap and would have similar motivations.
Some fish meds are manufactured in the same plant as many human meds. They're manufactured in human doses. The medication is often - but not always - the same. When I was doing this digging fish-mox was the same manufacturer as Amoxil name brand for human use. Same capsule, same labeling on it. Physically identical capsules. (This may or may not still be the case.) Just different bottles.
Additionally many of the medications I've gotten for my dogs over the years have come from normal human pharmacies. Again, same meds. But those pharmacies gave discount rates on generic brands so I went there. They were physically identical to the ones I was getting from the vet just half the price.
I would not suggest people take anything without doing their due diligence but... Not everyone has options available to them. I didn't. At the time I had been seen for this condition 6 times in the last year, I knew EXACTLY what it was, and I knew which meds I needed from what the doctors I saw prescribed. It just cost me $100 and two hours to walk in a door and tell a doctor "I have this condition, I need this medication" and they would say "Yes you do here is a prescription". And then I'd leave. It wasn't sustainable financially or emotionally at the time to do that 6 times a year. This was some years ago.

Many times people don't have access to a vet also. I have to look things up and guess a little when dosing farm animals. We only have ONE vet here that will see rabbits and he's garbage on a few different levels so I don't see him... Not to mention a visit would be like $100 minimum for a $25 rabbit. But we have a sick rabbit right now and I was checking pen-G dosage and it was listed with a dosage range that was like 10,000IU to 50,000IU/kg (might have been different, I did the calculations, got my dosage, and promptly forgot the numbers behind it) with no information on how to determine where on the scale to dose and why. I just kind of have to guess. She just started eating again today for the first time in a week and is getting well finally but I just chose a middle dose and hoped for the best. It was my only option, especially under quarantine.

So sometimes guessing is peoples best option. One should always try to research it first, and not everyone does, but professional help isn't always available either. Absolutely go with expert advice first.

But as always, a blanket reminder that people often do crazy seeming things because they're in situations that they can't take the safer option.
When safer, sounder options are available and appealing people take them.

Last edited:
@FortCluck
Are you doing ok as well?? Haven't seen you in about 10 pages I think?
Yes I'm good. I actually had an emergency that wound me up in the OR on Thursday. The hospital was super secure and like a ghost town. Hospitals are probably the safest place you can be right now honestly from my experience at my hospital.

I had to have my Hickman line removed which required them cutting lots of scar tissue because I had my line in for 3 years. Lots of tugging and pulling. I asked for no sedation and they used a lot of lidocaine.

I was scared on Wednesday when I saw that my line was cracked because without my meds that are running through it, I wouldn't be here today. My Dr was great with helping me understand that the hospital allows zero visitors, they make you stay 6 feet apart, they check your temp without touching anything on you, most people in the hospital are employees, and they had hand washing stations everywhere.

Maybe not all hospitals are like this but I'm glad mine is.

This is a parking garage pic... Usually you can never find a spot

IMG_20200402_113804.jpg

Here's the drive into the big city and there's zero traffic. Usually you're either at a stand still or trying to avoid getting hit.

IMG_20200402_113029.jpg

Rent strike in the big city. Usually there's people walking on the streets, but we saw no one. So creepy like a ghost town.

IMG_20200402_112831.jpg

For those of you in the mid west or any place this virus is mostly just a news broadcast to you, this virus is coming to an area near you, so please take it seriously.

So right! People who still have time to prepare are so fortunate! I hope our experience helps keep some of them healthy and even alive!

As long as you've been around have you ever seen anyone banned for something as inoffensive as that? No. I've seen far more drama and offensive stuff tgan that and all the people involved are still here.

True! I was talking about what happened on another forum and, really, giving what was intended as a humorous heads up.

Back
Top Bottom