Correct Humidity Level

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pbjmaker, Jun 8, 2008.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Ok - this web site says my humidity should be 50% but other websites say anywhere from 55-60% humidity. Any opinions out there on this? Right now mine is sitting around 60%.

2. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    me too!

mine stayed 55 the whole first week, now it's been 60 -65. I can't seem to get it down either. i'm interested to see what experts have to say about this.

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
  4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I knew too high wasn't good - I had read exstensively the first time I hatched eggs about "what goes wrong". I had an earlier post today because my humidity was almost to 70 but I did get it down to 60%. That was a very interesting article on dry incubating. I already have the vent plugs out and foil covering the part of the water. Although on my first hatch I forgot to check the water level the whole second week and it was bone dry on day 18. I didn't have a hygometer then - I do now. It didn't end up a very successful hatch. (On day 18 I had 29 out of 42 eggs with live chicks but only 9 pipped and 4 survived)

This time I have a notebook and am keeping data on egg colors, size, temp and humidity levels each time I turn them.

Now if only I can find a way to break the news that I am hatching eggs again to my husband who has been in Geogia since February and comes home in 10 days...

5. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I know this humidity thing is very debatable! [​IMG] One must remember that you have to increase the size of the air cell. Lower humidity increases the air cell and I keep my humidity an average of 40-42% meaning it can be as low as 35% then I add water. The room humidity stays around 40-42% also. I Increased the humidity after day 14 this time to 45to 46% and at day 17 I was not pleased with the size of the air cells. Just smaller than I like. We will see about Tuesday nite. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by