Correct way to pick up a chicken

Quote:
i think that's the same as what i was describing, but maybe reversed. my birds like to be able to see me, but i would assume they should be facing out, towards judges, for showing?

The proper way, at least that I was taught, was to have them facing you, and since the judge is right next to you, they can see everything you do.
It really is an intriguing way to hold them; you can see them, they can see you, and you have a spare hand to do what you wish. (It even works for large chickens; I do it with Buff Orpingtons and fat Barred Rocks with no problem; I've also seen it done with a HUMONGOUS light brahma.)

SC-Chick-A-Dee
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
oh yeah, mine love it. sometimes they fight over who gets picked up first and they literally run into my hand. my flock is just 9 weeks old but a few of them are BIG. 2 of my EEs, 1 of my Brahmas, and ALL my Orps are hefty little critters but i can still easily hold them in my hand. ok, maybe not forever, but long enough for a good examination and some cuddles!

I NEVER EVER hold my chickens upside down by their feet as it can pull a joint out of socket and also hampers their breathing. My Grandad taught me that a long time ago when I was young.Why he'd a skin't my head if he caught me carrying one of his layers around like that. Maybe if your headed to the choping block that might be acceptable but not for your prize possesion layers or purty purties, NO don't do it. Try hanging upside down yourself, not very comfortable, huh?

My friend helped once to move some of my layers and I showed him how to tote them like a football and he did that till he got to the 5 ft tall fence and threw one over it. Well we had a little discusion about that move, and he said well I thought that's why they had wings and I told him a fat ol' laying hen doesn't fly so well. Anyway a little ol' common horse sense ought to tell you something about situations like this.
wink.png

catdaddy

Two months ago, I met our local poultry judging expert at the Santa Cruz County fair, along with some other BYC friends. This guy has been the SCC Fair poultry chairman for over 30 years
bow.gif
and he has been raising and showing chickens for way longer than that. I talked to him for a good 40 minutes trying to learn what I could
pop.gif
Me: total chicken newbie
frow.gif

I watched him pickup a few different sized birds, some small and some large...he picked them up all the same. First, he put one hand on their back and calmly and gently (but quickly) pushed (compressed) them towards the ground (kinda like the way they look when they are hunkered down while roosting), then he slipped the other hand under the bird and picked it up (one hand under the breast and one hand on the back), he also moved his hands around to hold them one on each side (right and left) holding the wings down. Then he transferred the bird into the right arm, with the right hand placed under the breast (football hold like others describe) with the chicken legs hanging straight down. I can't remember if he actually had his arm between their legs, but I never hold mine that way, but rather around their body. Chickens are very relaxed when their legs are stretched out straight toward the ground (they must feel weightless).

When I use this push down technique to catch my rooster, he is surprisingly calm, but other times when used to try to grab him by surprise, he would put up a little struggle until I got him under my arm (newbie
frow.gif
).

Without a doubt, the push down technique is better for both of us, it lets my chickens know what I am planning to do and it doesn't scare them with a surprise catch. Dangling their legs works great, I have never been scratched by them because they don't put up a struggle and I wear long sleeve shirts just in case.

--Hugh

Quote:
i think that's the same as what i was describing, but maybe reversed. my birds like to be able to see me, but i would assume they should be facing out, towards judges, for showing?

The proper way, at least that I was taught, was to have them facing you, and since the judge is right next to you, they can see everything you do.
It really is an intriguing way to hold them; you can see them, they can see you, and you have a spare hand to do what you wish. (It even works for large chickens; I do it with Buff Orpingtons and fat Barred Rocks with no problem; I've also seen it done with a HUMONGOUS light brahma.)

Is the holding arm between the chicken's legs? I can't visualize the hold with the chicken facing you.

Pics please!

Thanks,

--Hugh

Quote:
the way i do it, my middle and ring fingers are between the chicken's legs with the chicken facing me (i mostly pick them up with my left hand so i can fiddle with things/pet them with my right). my pinkie and pointer fingers come up on the outside of their legs and my thumb gently rests in front of them along their chest (make sure you don't unduly push on the crop). as you said, letting their legs dangle seems to calm them.

i would try to get pictures for you tomorrow, but it's supposed to rain buckets. i won't be out gallivanting around with the camera in one hand and a chicken in the other! the next day maybe.

Last edited:
PERSONALLY...
cool.png

I approach them slowly and put my open palm underneath their belly gently, then, with my free hand, come over the top and - again, GENTLY, pick them up.
"GENTLY" is the imperative word.
Always make sure to stroke their backs and talk to them.
Usually I make chicken sounds like "bok, bok, bok," or blow through my lips, making a "brrrrp," sound.
I do not recommend picking them up by their legs...that's just plain mean and archaic. Bordering on abuse IMHO.
I've found this technique really puts my birds (the devil bantam roo, also) as ease.
Half the time they fall asleep in my hands.
Now, of course, this only applies if you're looking to have chickens as pets...otherwise I guess you can pick them up by their legs...although I cringe every time I see it.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom