Correct way to Turn eggs in an incubator

kpborkowski

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
Chelsea (Vic), Australia
Hi this is our first time trying to hatch some of our own fertile eggs in an incubator. We have had broodies previously do all the work but we thought it would be fun for our children to witness a hatch in an incubator. Also we don't have anyone clucky at the moment.

We got ourselves a mini incubator and I understand we will need to turn the eggs at least 3 times a day. We popped them in last night pointy end down. My question is when we turn them should we then have them pointy side up or just gently turn them to the other side. Also should we completely change their positions? Our incubator has clear spots for 7 eggs

I hope this makes sense :) Thank you

On this video, go to 1:50 and he shows his turner set up. That's the basic principle I've been using. Then again, I've been having really poor hatches, so maybe I shouldn't be giving advice
hmm.png
. but, I don't think my hatch rate is from how I'm turning. This guy has hatched more eggs than I've probably even seen in my life lol.

You can't really do that in your mini, but it gives you the basic idea.

Last edited:
I have been hand turning all my eggs this season, 3 times a day in give or take 8-10 hour intervals... I try to do it every 8 hours on the hour but life sometimes gets it the way and they sit for a bit longer... I have 3 alarms on my phone set to remind me it's time to turn the eggs... My eggs are all laying 'flat' on their sides and I rotate them 180° using the old X and O (Os have become pictographs to entertain the young daughters) markings on opposite sides... Sometimes if I'm candling the lot I will give them a 90° turn at that time and the second 90° turn at the 8 hour time, so the 180° is still held steady... The odd number of times each day is helpful because if there is a time periods, like say work or sleep that exceeds the 8 hours they will be on alternate sides each day for that longer time...

BTW I'm 100% hatch rate on chickens this year and 94% overall between chickens, guinea and peas...

Here is a picture of the incubator as it sits right now, a little stuffed as I just dropped in 31 pea eggs and 8 guinea eggs last night, so the eggs off to the right are a little 'upright' for now, but will be laid down on their side later this week when some of the eggs in the green fenced area hatch..

Back
Top Bottom