Corrugated Plastic roofing in Tx

emileexepic

Songster
8 Years
May 3, 2015
China Spring, Tx
Planning a three sided coop/run in North Central Tx. I'm considering corrugated plastic sheet roofing over the whole thing. I was curious if anyone knew if having the run entirely shaded could affect the girls' egg production? And in the interest of mitigating the Texas summer heat as much as possible, would a grey tinted panel or a solid white one be more beneficial? Am I way overthinking this?

Shade is excellent so you definitely want something absolutely opaque.

Have you looked carefully into the issue of plastic vs metal? Some people have found that the plastic deteriorates faster than desirable in the harsh climate of the US south and southwest. Metal is usually more expensive, but is surprisingly easy to work with if you buy the self-tapping screws and have a battery powered impact driver. Ours is from DeWalt: https://www.dewalt.com/product/dcf885c1/20v-max-14-impact-driver-kit

Here are my articles on hot-climate chickenkeeping and coop ventilation:

Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

Hot Climate Chicken Housing and Care

Shade is excellent so you definitely want something absolutely opaque.

Have you looked carefully into the issue of plastic vs metal? Some people have found that the plastic deteriorates faster than desirable in the harsh climate of the US south and southwest. Metal is usually more expensive, but is surprisingly easy to work with if you buy the self-tapping screws and have a battery powered impact driver. Ours is from DeWalt: https://www.dewalt.com/product/dcf885c1/20v-max-14-impact-driver-kit

Here are my articles on hot-climate chickenkeeping and coop ventilation:

Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

Hot Climate Chicken Housing and Care
Thank you for your detailed response, I'll definitely look into metal and stick with opaque paneling either way. I'll read your articles as well!

Back
Top Bottom