Cortunix Quail eggs - fertilized or not?

thepregnantgod

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
About a month ago, I picked up 5 Cortunix Quail for the boys to keep/learn about. We kept them in our backyard and put them on the screened porch at night. Over that month, 3 of them flew away. Two remained. During this time, one of them had a very distinct call that I can only assume was a rooster type call.

About a week ago I noticed a little nest with 3 very cool looking eggs so I decided I'd take the remaining two in. Note, I've yet to hear that distinctive call anymore. Since I've kept these two in the cage, they've been providing two eggs/day. I've put them in an incubator following all the directions, but I just realized that I might be doing this all for naught...

If I'm getting two eggs/day is it because I have two hens? How can I tell if one is male or not? Also, will they lay eggs if they aren't fertilized? (My only experience is with Muscovy ducks and generally they lay eggs around the same time they're being...er...mated with).

So, anyone who has experience with this - please let me know.

How can I sex them? Are the eggs fertilized or not? Etc.

Thanks.

Two eggs a day indicates two hens. They will lay eggs whether or not they are fertilized. Chickens can retain sperm up to 4 weeks after the removal of a rooster but with significant drop off in fertility after 2 + weeks. Very possibly these eggs MIGHT be fertile. Give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom