Cortunix quail questions

Crazydoglady99

Crowing
Nov 6, 2018
Hi Quail people,

I have never had quails before, but completely randomly I decided to buy some fertile eggs.. the guy mistakenly gave us ones due to hatch the following day :eek:

12 have hatched so far , but am slightly worried about one as its leg is stretched out.. (I'll take a pic)
Is this something that might correct itself? Or is the little munchkin suffering and I should intervene?

Resized_20181127_161557.jpeg

You can try and straighten it out by using vet wrap or a band aid. Make a hobble out of either to help keep the legs in position.
It might also need a shoe made if the toes are curling.
It's kinda difficult to do this procedure on quail as they are so small....two people works best, one to hold the chick and the other does the doctoring.
If it isn't too severe, it may correct on it's own.
Make sure you have a non-slip surface in your brooder as slick surfaces are the cause for 'slip tendon' and other conditions for legs being malpositioned.

So a few days later.. I can't actually find the one with the dicky leg. Obviously a few physio sessions have worked because they're all jumping around eating, drinking and being merry.

I did read a random blog, I can't remember what is was called (good old cyber space, a few clicks and you've gone incognito!). Anyway, it was a very clever suggestion that you get a cup (sized to fit your birdie), pack some paper towel in there, then sit your little one with the dicky leg inside. Little munchkin with struggle and try to climb out, this strengthening the leg.

Back
Top Bottom