Coryza..cull?

I don’t know anything about the person you got them from. That’s for you to decide. It’s best imo to cull every single bird with any kind of respiratory problem coryza or not. Treating for these kinds of illnesses lead to weak flocks that will need constant medication.
Sorry you got sick birds but it’s best to cull them.
I know they are sick, and my large animal says it's infectious coryza. Eaither way I know they are sick and totally agree with you on culling the sick with respritory illness, now just to do it. Ugh. But my healthy flock is more important than these two Brahma chicks, I will not make my whole flock sick for 2 birds and have to constantly deal with culling and nursing birds. If possible I would like to keep my flock without disease and will do what's nessecary to do so..

Does npip test for coryza?
No. Most test for pullorum and maybe bird flu, and a few will test for the others shown.
npip_1.png

I know they are sick, and my large animal says it's infectious coryza. Eaither way I know they are sick and totally agree with you on culling the sick with respritory illness, now just to do it. Ugh. But my healthy flock is more important than these two Brahma chicks, I will not make my whole flock sick for 2 birds and have to constantly deal with culling and nursing birds. If possible I would like to keep my flock without disease and will do what's nessecary to do so..
Can you send a swab off to this place and find out what it is?
https://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

So sorry for the decision you are facing.

I wouldn’t buy anything from that person again.

There is a “gentle” way to euthanize by wrapping the bird in a towel soaked with car starter fluid (which is ether) and put inside a Rubbermaid container with a snaptight lid.

It’s not instantaneous, but I think the jist is that they go to sleep and don’t wake up.

Edited to add this must be done outdoors so you don’t pass out from fumes.

NPIP does not mean a lot to me. The only time I have bought birds from a breeder 5 years ago, her NPIP testor was coming later that day, and I thought they only came once a year. She had 5 hens and a rooster of a very hard to get breed at the time. After we had them all packed in the car, she told me that one hen had been missing for almost a month, and had just turned up the day before in good condition. I kind of freaked out hearing that, since she had many neighbors in a rural area, and the hen could have been with other birds. I was too polite to protest, so we went home with the chickens. We were fortunate that none became sick in the month of quarantine before adding them to our existing birds. But just thinking about it, and knowing that I could have brought a disease hime, I will never bring anything home except chicks from a hatchery in the future.

Yes I know I have to. I will be doing so tomarrow afternoon. I wanted to tell my husband first instead of him getting home and me telling him "I culled your special birds" He agreed that 30 healthy chickens is way better than 32 unhealthy ones. I want to do the best possible for my flock and culling is that. No matter how much he wanted that breed. I will find someone with eggs from a trusted source and hatch a few for him and redo my blrw hatch that the majority of the eggs were unfertalized. I will NEVER deal with this breeder again. Selling sick chickens is not only not good husbandry but bad buisness and could of really hurt the goals I have for my flock. I'm so glad I did a quarantine that I was so crazy obsessive over my husband thought I was paranoid. Now he's glad we did quarantine also. YIKES apparently the practice of people selling sick birds is more common than I thought, I was taken by surprise when the first set of live birds I bought ended up being sick. Thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom