Coryza in Small Hen

MartyHikes

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2021
We have one hen who started exhibiting symptoms of coryza pretty severely about a week ago. Swollen eye, snot, labored breathing, the works. We began treatment with Tylan immediately. We read that .25 ml administered orally over five days should cure it, so we started with that dosage, but here we are six days later with only a little improvement. She’s walking, eating, and drinking under her own power now, but her eye is still swollen to the point that I almost think there’s a pus plug in there somewhere. She’s also still plugged up and breathing only through her mouth. My wife and I are pretty new at raising chickens; this is our first sick one. So I have multiple questions about the situation.
1. is there another treatment we should be trying?
2. should we up the dosage? I’ve read that you can administer as much as 1cc/lb of body weight, twice a day, which leads me to believe we should almost quadruple the dosage we’re giving.
3. could it be something other than coryza?
4. I’ve read and seen in videos that you should try to “pop” the pus plug out of the eye like a pimple. We have tried that (very gently, and avoiding the area of her actual eyeball). But it doesn’t appear to be sitting right in front of the eyeball, so we can’t get it to come out. Pus/mucus will come out of her nostrils and the roof of her mouth, but the swelling comes back after a couple of hours. Is there a specific way we should be approaching this? Is it inadvisable to try squeezing a pus plug from around the eye?

We have one hen who started exhibiting symptoms of coryza pretty severely about a week ago. Swollen eye, snot, labored breathing, the works. We began treatment with Tylan immediately. We read that .25 ml administered orally over five days should cure it, so we started with that dosage, but here we are six days later with only a little improvement. She’s walking, eating, and drinking under her own power now, but her eye is still swollen to the point that I almost think there’s a pus plug in there somewhere.
Which Tylan do you have? Tylan50, Tylan200 or Tylsoin Powder?
Photos are always welcome.
Does she have a bad odor?

If there's pus in the eye, it needs to come out in order for it to heal. Flush the eye with saline, press out the pus, flush well, then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin into the eye 2-3 times a day.

Symptoms of Infectious Coryza (if that is what you are dealing with) are generally treated with Sulfa antibiotics. Tylan/Tylosin is sometimes used in conjunction with the Sulfa drug.

Symptoms of Mycoplasma are treated with Tylan/Tylosin. Tylan has a large dosage range of 10-40mg/kg given orally 3 times a day. If you will tell us what you have and how much she weighs, we can help you with dosing if needed.

There is no cure for respiratory disease like Mycoplasma or Infectious Coryza. Both make birds carriers for life. Another common respiratory disease is Infectious Bronchitis which is a virus and makes birds carriers for up to a year. Here's some reading about diseases https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Hopefully with some photos and a little more info we can give you better suggestions.

Which Tylan do you have? Tylan50, Tylan200 or Tylsoin Powder?
Photos are always welcome.
Does she have a bad odor?

If there's pus in the eye, it needs to come out in order for it to heal. Flush the eye with saline, press out the pus, flush well, then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin into the eye 2-3 times a day.

Symptoms of Infectious Coryza (if that is what you are dealing with) are generally treated with Sulfa antibiotics. Tylan/Tylosin is sometimes used in conjunction with the Sulfa drug.

Symptoms of Mycoplasma are treated with Tylan/Tylosin. Tylan has a large dosage range of 10-40mg/kg given orally 3 times a day. If you will tell us what you have and how much she weighs, we can help you with dosing if needed.

There is no cure for respiratory disease like Mycoplasma or Infectious Coryza. Both make birds carriers for life. Another common respiratory disease is Infectious Bronchitis which is a virus and makes birds carriers for up to a year. Here's some reading about diseases https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Hopefully with some photos and a little more info we can give you better suggestions.

We’re using Tylan 50. There is an odor for sure. The discharge coming from her eye and nostrils smells awful. I hadn’t read about Sulfa, we were told to use Tylan 50 almost as a blanket treatment for any respiratory disease in chickens, in case it was coryza or mycoplasma. This is the only picture I could get today. I can possibly get more later if you need more details.

Attachments

• C30822FC-1021-4331-9918-778DC7D702DB.jpeg
    C30822FC-1021-4331-9918-778DC7D702DB.jpeg
    428.7 KB · Views: 13
We’re using Tylan 50. There is an odor for sure. The discharge coming from her eye and nostrils smells awful. I hadn’t read about Sulfa, we were told to use Tylan 50 almost as a blanket treatment for any respiratory disease in chickens, in case it was coryza or mycoplasma. This is the only picture I could get today. I can possibly get more later if you need more details.
With a bad odor it may be Infectious Coryza. You may want to use a Sulfa Antibiotic to treat symptoms. The pus in the eye will need to come out regardless.
You may need to apply a warm compress to help loosen and get the eye open. Terramycin eye ointment in the eye once you get it cleaned out.

For Tylan50 I would have given .25ml per pound of weight orally 3 times a day for 5 days to treat symptoms of Mycoplasma.
I'm not sure if you started over at that dosing if it would help with Infectious Coryza. Some folks do use Tylan with Sulfa drugs for a boost.

Just be aware that Infectious Coryza is a permanent thing that’ll be in your flock for life. It’s highly recommended to keep a closed flock until all the current sick birds die off.

It might be a good idea to put her down and send the body in to your state vet lab for a necropsy and testing. That would tell you what disease the bird had. Most of the 8 or more respiratory diseases affect chickens for life, and can make them carriers and sickly.

Back
Top Bottom