Cost of a Coop

mommto3kiddos

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
I must say I was really surprised at how much a pre-made or coop "kit" can cost. My husband and I went to the hardware store today to kinda price out material cost and I think we have decided on doing it ourselves. I just cant see paying several hundred dollars for a coop and then a hundred or more for shipping..

If you dont mind me asking would anyone like to share how much they spent on their coops and also I would LOVE pics to go with cost. I keep checking craigslist in my area for a good find, but nothing.. Im so lost on the design I want either..
roll.png
Can you feel my husband frustration
tongue.png

I think we spent about $1100.
barnie.gif
However, we bought just about everything new. Next time there will be A LOT of scrounging, reusing, and creativity involved!

This is before the run was finished. The coop proper is about 60 square feet.

50603_coopeast.jpg

Oh thats beautiful! I have been watching craiglist for a small shed or barn too for around a $100 to convert. I like the scrounging idea
smile.png

I was over a grand but my goal was more to make me happy than to save money. Two sources I would suggest is the Habitat for Humanity store called 'restore'. If you can find a restore store, you will find that most building materials there are half the price of new and most items are far below that. Also in addition to looking at craigs list, I would suggest you actually drive around urban and rural areas and look for small outbuildings that still have good bones and that the owners doesn't use anymore. I know there are many farmers with small unused sheds on their properties that would be fine with someone hauling them away at little or no charge. Just a thought. Good luck.

Quote:
THANK YOU - I just searched and we have a restore shop in our neighboring city. Im so excited to go check it out!!

I don't want to know what I've spent, and I still have a bit more to go. I think I'm under 1K, but it would only be by a bit. But it is worth it. I'm getting what I want, exactly what I want, and I can always modify! Here is the project at the end of the day today: this is a bit more than 1/2 the structure, as there is still the frame for the uncovered portion of the coop. But the roof is on-so I'm happy! I'm leaving out the five hours in the mud, rain, hail and wind...

81934_img_0223.jpg

Here's a pix of our 4x8 coop with a 8x8 run that houses our six girls - red sexlinks ... cost about $600.00 in materials to build ... its a great size although no room for more
hit.gif
wishing you much joy and happiness with your new coop -- we just love our girls
love.gif
can't imagine life without them
yippiechickie.gif

[
57203_158.jpg

57203_almost_done.jpg

57203_andrew_028.jpg

Our first coop cost us about $200 to build and it's framed out entirely in redwood lumber. Actually we recycled the lumber from our local landfill. We happened to be there one Saturday dropping yard waste off, when we spotted a pile of Redwood from a deck that someone had carefully disassembled. I inquired at the front gate and was told that I had to sign a waiver and cold only take 3 cubic feet of material a day. I told them of my find and what I intended to do with it. they allowed me to take two loads out that day and two the next. There were 2 x 6's that I ripped down to 2 x 3's. We also found old piece of plywood some 4' x 6' and other's 4' x 4' that we used for roofing. I really only purchased the shingle's, T 111, and hardwear such as hinges and chicken wire. The trim was from 1 x 3's that I found at our plant and was headed for the dump. You can check out the coop on our profile page. I am now build another coop 8' x 8' and am purchasing the material. I have $156 into it now just for the 2 x 4's. I priced out every thing today at the local big box store and figure i can do it for between $350 - $400.
In our area T-111 is going for $45 a sheet and I need 8 sheets of it. i looked around and found this Knotty Barnside Panel that is exterior for $17.50 a sheet. I plan on using that. and instead of purchasing plywood and shingle's for the room. I'm thinking of going with the corragated fiberglass panels in a dark color which will cost me about $120 to do.
My advice is to look around at the lumber store and keep an open mind as to alternatives to you materials. Good luck, and have fun building the coop.

Back
Top Bottom