Cost of Cattle Panels

Runawaylobster

Songster
7 Years
May 2, 2012
Redland/Homestead Fl
After studying and researching allover I have finally decided that I want to build the chicken coop out of cattle panels. So I googled them and came up with some online prices of about $20 each. But all of these needed to be shipped, so I called my local feed store and asked. They have them and the price was $89.00 each!!!!! I'm not quite sure what to make of this, but at $89 i can't possibly use them, so I was wondering if I can use rolls of horse fence instead. I live in Homestead Florida, does anyone know of a reasonable source for them????

L

What they are calling "cattle panels" may not be the same thing as what you are calling "cattle panels." At $89 apiece it sounds like what I know as "corral panels" which are made of steel pipe (somewhat like a gate) whereas what I buy as "cattle panels" are made of thin steel rod welded together so are flexible enough to bend to make hoops out of. Those do run about $20 each around here.

She asked me if it was the corral panels and I said no, but perhaps she was mistaken.

I drive to Live Oak and back fairly frequently but I'm not sure how to get 16ft panels back on my Xterra on the turnpike :)... thanks for the info I need to double check this it seems such a ridiculous price.

Yeah, I think she quoted you the cost of some corral panels and I seeing corral panels on the top of an Xterra would be pretty scary and funny at the same time.

My chickens can go right through the holes in real cattle panels. I use them for vines and the chickens just hop right through.

Cattle panels are for structure.
You need to add hardware cloth to make it keep chickens in and predators out.
Search for hoop coop.

4 gauge cattle panels should be about $25
They also make 2 gauge. not sure on the pricing of those but they would be more.

Make sure to tell them "4 gauge, 16' x 50" Cattle panels.
Our Lowes sells them as well.

Just to be certain are these what you are talking about?

20111226_145133.jpg

There are two cattle panels side by side preparatory to securing them to the tractor frame.

Transporting the things can be a chore if you don't have a trailer or a large truck.

I've seen a fella make a frame to transport his using two 12ft 2x4s at a slant across his truck bed which worked, but that won't help you with an X-Terra. You may be better off calling around to find your nearest local source then finding out what they'll charge your to deliver them. If they have other deliveries in the area you may get them to bring them for a lower cost.

Yes, I too think the price is for corral panels. You should be able to get the cattle panels at Tractor Supply or sometimes even Lowe's for about $20. We used them for our first run, but we did them like a triangle, attached along the long edge for the top and then pulled the panels apart to make a triangle. Applied chicken wire to the sides and back and made a cute little door to attach to the coop on the front. Ran an electric fence around the whole thing and we were good...until chicken math happened! :)

I just purchased cattle panels at Menards (a local building store similar to Lowes or Home Depot) for 18.99 each. Our local feed store had them for 33.95.

Back
Top Bottom