Cost of Running an Incubator

Quote:
LOVE IT!!!

Thanks heaps people for dropping in and helping me decide.

I mentioned to my mother I'd like to get an incubator just for fun to hatch a clutch or two, and she went absolutely banana's telling me it would send the power bill through the roof and I'd never afford to run it, I was pretty sure it wouldn't be that dear really cause people on this website are building them outta stryo boxes and stuff.

She says' Well Go Ahead and find out, but don't cry when the bill comes.

Mwhahaha!! now to either build, buy or hire one and see what happens
big_smile.png

*edited because in my excitement I forgetted how to speel*

Last edited:
Incubator:
free foam cooler
free hardware cloth
free light bulb and socket
free egg carton
2 therm/hygro $16
dimmer switch $3
free fan
converter for fan $1

10 Hatching eggs $11 + 5 free from stray mutt hen

Electricity for the bator, maybe $2

Coop materials to date $36, most everything has been scrounged even the metal siding we made the roof out of today.

1 one bag of layer pellets $13

15 pounds of scratch $2

$30 for 3 pullets for hubby

Total cost in 1 month: $114

The next month should run $70 or less and hopefully I'll start having more eggs. But so far this is the CHEAPEST hobby I've had in a loooooong time.

i dont know if its the incubator"s fault or not. my electric bill usually runs pass $150 a month. this month is my first time incubating and my electric bill went dowm to $87.
i told hubby that our eggs r giving us good luck!
gig.gif
lau.gif
clap.gif

I just told mum how cheep
wink.png
running one will be.

She is standing by her guns saying it's going to cost the earth.

OH WELL!

When I hatch Harry's lil babies it'll be worth it regardless, I have been looking up incubators on ebay :S 170 for one of those brinsea mini advance's plus about 60 postage to Australia.

Yes I know they can be built and it's easy and all the for and against arguements but I am a bit chicken and would just rather buy something I can't really mess up or lose hair over trying to set it up.

Anyone know of them cheaper in stores near them? They look light enough to be posted fairly easily.

Thanks
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom