Costco Chicken Coop?

rgunn1

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2015
South Louisiana
I'm in a pinch for a quick coop. Long story short I didn't realize what I was getting into, bought 9 birds and built the Kerr chicken tractor and the flock is now running out of room. I started designing a dual purpose coop/greenhouse a few weeks ago when I came to the realization that the materials needed for the foundation cost about the same as this garden shed that is on sale at my local Costco ($699).

http://www.costco.com/Lifetime-8'-x-6.5'-Shed.product.100082331.html

I'm fairly certain I've convinced myself that this should be our new coop but wanted to see what you guys thought. I can pop it up in a day, add roosts, nesting boxes and an automatic door, attach a new run and be done with it. What say ye?

I'm in a pinch for a quick coop. Long story short I didn't realize what I was getting into, bought 9 birds and built the Kerr chicken tractor and the flock is now running out of room. I started designing a dual purpose coop/greenhouse a few weeks ago when I came to the realization that the materials needed for the foundation cost about the same as this garden shed that is on sale at my local Costco ($699).

http://www.costco.com/Lifetime-8'-x-6.5'-Shed.product.100082331.html

I'm fairly certain I've convinced myself that this should be our new coop but wanted to see what you guys thought. I can pop it up in a day, add roosts, nesting boxes and an automatic door, attach a new run and be done with it. What say ye?

Didn't see mention of adding some significant ventilation in that list of things - having taken a look at the shed it looks like a good starting point to work with, but would definitely be lacking in that key component of healthy flock management.

Didn't see mention of adding some significant ventilation in that list of things - having taken a look at the shed it looks like a good starting point to work with, but would definitely be lacking in that key component of healthy flock management.

Good point, and thank you. I'm also eyeballing some of the larger sheds they offer that have built in windows so that I can just cover them up with hardware cloth and be done. My birds just look cramped in that little Kerr tractor so I feel the need to get something better for them as quickly as possible. I think they're right about 11 weeks old this weekend.

You had me scared for a minute that you were looking at the extremely tiny coop they offer this time of year that is made of flimsy wood and would not last a season.
Glad to see you are looking at an actual shed.

So I let the herd out for the first time on Saturday afternoon to explore the yard. I took a picture of them and shared it on Facebook, to which I received a message from an old friend of mine saying that he had recently purchased some property nearby and that he had two chicken coops there that they were getting ready to tear down for scrap. He told me they were free for the taking if I wanted to come pick them up.... hopefully they're in good shape and I won't have to fork any more money over to Costco. Lord knows they get enough as it is!

I'll report back here. Below are a few pics from our excursion. These are all 11 week old "sexed pullets" from Tractor Supply. I think they might have messed up on one of them....

So I let the herd out for the first time on Saturday afternoon to explore the yard. I took a picture of them and shared it on Facebook, to which I received a message from an old friend of mine saying that he had recently purchased some property nearby and that he had two chicken coops there that they were getting ready to tear down for scrap. He told me they were free for the taking if I wanted to come pick them up.... hopefully they're in good shape and I won't have to fork any more money over to Costco. Lord knows they get enough as it is!

I'll report back here. Below are a few pics from our excursion. These are all 11 week old "sexed pullets" from Tractor Supply. I think they might have messed up on one of them....

What luck! Isn't it amazing how things can work out like that?
Yes, I agree, you have at least one cockerel in there.

What luck! Isn't it amazing how things can work out like that?
Yes, I agree, you have at least one cockerel in there.

Oh, he makes it very clear. He started trying to crow at about 8 weeks. Now he's got a full force crow that echos throughout the neighborhood. All day long... We already have a black lab named "Rouxster" so we decided to name the cockeral "Pig." I may have to rethink things if we wind up getting pigs...

Back
Top Bottom