Cotornix Quail second hatch failing miserably

It died. I slowly helped it out over a couple hours. As soon as it pushed free of the egg it took around 2 mins and gone. Ok time to go to post office and run my errands, then home again to do these egg topsys. He didn't seem shrink wrapped, but the membrane did seem very very thick and the chick was definitely in the wrong position to hatch. The last two that hatched past time unzipped from the large side of the egg and there was no blood no smell no nothing. I did notice a nasty 🤢 smell when I removed this little guy from the incubator. It also looked to me like he still needed a day or two in the Bator? Like he wasn't 100% ready to come out.
I’m sorry what incubator do you have?

I'll upload a photo in a second. It had no name just from eBay. But it's fully automatic and temp seems to be even around the eggs. I've just discovered that the 2 that hatched early last time could have been due to the 37.6 temp guide I followed. Apparently higher temps produce a later hatch. I'm thrilled to say on day 21 I've got another pip. And he's looking vigorous at his pecking compared to last one. But he is coming from the small end of the egg again. I thought the air pocket was at the large end.

IMG20230905101419.jpg

I've got my eye on a 90 dollar second hand one on gumtree classifieds. Its a clear tub one like this one but the top looks a bit more nifty. If the lady is willing to post it up I'm buying that Friday. Being in outback Australia I've come to LOVE the post office. Lol

I'm going to have a look at this link thanks. Also I forgot to mention, I'm in Darwin Australia, and it's tropical here for 6 months and dry and hot for 6 months. It rarely drops below 35 degrees here. So I doubt it was anything like the shrink wrapping etc that can happen as none of the eggs even pipped aside from 2. I did suspect that the first hatch may have had some interference from the a/C in the lounge so I've moved it this time into the spare room with no a/C. I was so upset to only get one hatchling. As for the humidity I am definitely finding it hard to control. The incubator came with extensive instructions for settings but not much on controlling humidity. I am to just add water to the bottom of the tray.... But I do find that it's not consistent at times. This time it has been more consistent than last time although I've filled the tray every day with more water than is recommended.
Too high humidity is a problem which causes the chicks to basically drown inside the egg.

You can NOT trust the readings/numbers on the incubator.

I've got my eye on a 90 dollar second hand one on gumtree classifieds. Its a clear tub one like this one but the top looks a bit more nifty. If the lady is willing to post it up I'm buying that Friday. Being in outback Australia I've come to LOVE the post office. Lol
You can make your current incubator work.
Just order a thermometer and humidity gauge that you can calibrate.

I didn't put the rollers to the outside this time but in the middle, as I've read that these kind of incubators can have insulation/temp fluctuation issues after I'd put the first hatch on. I didn't want to mess around the clutch moving them. This pips beak looks a different colour, it's darker and looks more well formed from what I can see. He's definitely got the energy to be making that hole bigger. I'm so happy right now I hope he's ok. I think I'll leave them in for another day or two. Dry hatch next to see if there's more success.

Back
Top Bottom