Cotornix Quail second hatch failing miserably

I didn't put the rollers to the outside this time but in the middle, as I've read that these kind of incubators can have insulation/temp fluctuation issues after I'd put the first hatch on. I didn't want to mess around the clutch moving them. This pips beak looks a different colour, it's darker and looks more well formed from what I can see. He's definitely got the energy to be making that hole bigger. I'm so happy right now I hope he's ok. I think I'll leave them in for another day or two. Dry hatch next to see if there's more success.
It seems as if you have also had low temps that’s why they are hatching late

You can make your current incubator work.
Just order a thermometer and humidity gauge that you can calibrate.
I admit I was reading something about them after I'd set up first hatch, and I felt worried that mine was too cheap or something? But then I thought, no, if two can hatch then surely they don't make incubators that don't hatch eggs. That would defeat the purpose. I candled this morning unsuccessfully and all but one egg seems hefty with a chick. So moving rollers to the inside worked wonders, and moving to room with no a/C.

I admit I was reading something about them after I'd set up first hatch, and I felt worried that mine was too cheap or something? But then I thought, no, if two can hatch then surely they don't make incubators that don't hatch eggs. That would defeat the purpose. I candled this morning unsuccessfully and all but one egg seems hefty with a chick. So moving rollers to the inside worked wonders, and moving to room with no a/C.
Any incubator can work.
The number one rule when using an incubator is not to trust the temperature or humidity reading that the incubator itself says. They are almost always off one way or the other.

I keep repeating this because if you are trusting what the incubator says then you are not sure what your temperature or humidity actually is.

If you can be sure what the temperature and humidity are, then you can get anything to hatch in any incubator.

Get a Govee and leave it in your running bator for a week and wat h what happens to the temp and humidity on the app.

Any incubator can work.
The number one rule when using an incubator is not to trust the temperature or humidity reading that the incubator itself says. They are almost always off one way or the other.

I keep repeating this because if you are trusting what the incubator says then you are not sure what your temperature or humidity actually is.

If you can be sure what the temperature and humidity are, then you can get anything to hatch in any incubator.

Get a Govee and leave it in your running bator for a week and wat h what happens to the temp and humidity on the app.
Thanks so much. I literally had just enough in my afterpay to buy it all haha. But Amazon wouldn't accept a.p. so I got to wait til Friday and hope it's still in stock.

Ok, so I have a third pip in the right area of the egg. The second one seems to be struggling like the first. Its pipped right up the top of the egg (small end). I can't figure why and how they're so late. But they all seem to be very weak and nothing like the first two I saw hatch. I'm also getting very conflicting times from Google as to how long it usually takes from pip to unzip, one says an hour another says 18 hours. Its hard to tell with the third one but I won't be so hasty in future to think the hatch has failed. Which it looks like it has but I now know they can hatch super late.

Ok, so I have a third pip in the right area of the egg. The second one seems to be struggling like the first. Its pipped right up the top of the egg (small end). I can't figure why and how they're so late. But they all seem to be very weak and nothing like the first two I saw hatch. I'm also getting very conflicting times from Google as to how long it usually takes from pip to unzip, one says an hour another says 18 hours. Its hard to tell with the third one but I won't be so hasty in future to think the hatch has failed. Which it looks like it has but I now know they can hatch super late.
They can take upwards of 24hrs to zip after piping.

Back
Top Bottom