coturnix Breeder Pens?

They seem kinda small. I bet you could find some bigger cheaper cages on craigslist.
smile.png
Just my 2cents.
smile.png

Quote:
i make mine with 1/2 inch hardware cloth and "J" clips. A 4 ft.L X 2 ft.D X 1 ft. H pen takes me 1-2 hr to make and costs under 15.00.
i put 5-7 Coturnix in each of my cages.
Just my personal opinion is that if you were putting quail in those G.O.F. cages they'd be mighty cramped as breeding adults.

Quote:
most have the 1 sq foot per bird rule if the cage is 10"X10" X 24 " you have barely enough room for 2 when I built my cages I used those as a guide but went up to 12" X 12" X 24 and I only keep pairs in the cages I have I have a couple of grow out pens for my coturnix. JMO but the best part about these cages is they are not so high the birds can jump and break their necks.

and of course ,with Coturnix you do not want to keep them as 1 male/1 female .Generally, on here they recommend 1 male to anywhere from 3-7 females. The male will just wear the female out and pluck her bald...or she will turn on him and hurt or kill him.......

Quote:
i make mine with 1/2 inch hardware cloth and "J" clips. A 4 ft.L X 2 ft.D X 1 ft. H pen takes me 1-2 hr to make and costs under 15.00.
i put 5-7 Coturnix in each of my cages.
Just my personal opinion is that if you were putting quail in those G.O.F. cages they'd be mighty cramped as breeding adults.

Ditto. I looked at the GQF pens several times. I think I made mine better, and cheaper. Plus all my cages have an outside portion too. Those little cramped breeding cages are not for my birds.

Thank you for the input and suggestions. I think I new that were just to small.

I am going to make my own cages and make them bigger I do want them to be happy.

John

Back
Top Bottom