Coturnix Color Question

CurlyQuail

Songster
Jun 20, 2020
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I’ve only ever had and bred pharaohs but my manchurian hen has just moved to the egg coop and I’m thinking of moving her to the breeding coop. If I crossed her with a pharaoh roo, what colors could I expect from the chicks? Additionally if I bought a manchurian rooster, am I correct in the assumption that their chicks would not hatch? Final question, if I got a manchurian rooster and bred him with the pharaoh hens, would the color outcome be the same as a manchurian hen and pharaoh roo? I’m not very good with genetics and the scientific research tends to make my eyes glaze over so as simple an answer as possible would be great ahahaha

I’ve only ever had and bred pharaohs but my manchurian hen has just moved to the egg coop and I’m thinking of moving her to the breeding coop. If I crossed her with a pharaoh roo, what colors could I expect from the chicks? Additionally if I bought a manchurian rooster, am I correct in the assumption that their chicks would not hatch? Final question, if I got a manchurian rooster and bred him with the pharaoh hens, would the color outcome be the same as a manchurian hen and pharaoh roo? I’m not very good with genetics and the scientific research tends to make my eyes glaze over so as simple an answer as possible would be great ahahaha
It is my understanding that Manchurian bred together have a lethal gene that makes 25% of eggs not viable. You would get chicks but a lower success rate.

Yes, there is a slightly lethal factor in the Gold/Fawn factor of Manchurians.
But there will hatch and live quite some.

Italians are in fact heterozygotous Manchurian+Pharaoh, so when you breed a Manchurian roo with Pharaoh hens (or vise versa) you will get 100% Italians.

Back
Top Bottom