Coturnix egg laying question - how many eggs?

chicksngoats

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 15, 2009
Sooo....I'm thinking of expanding my chicken obsession to include some Quail and from reading, sounds like Coturnix are the best choice. The only thing I didn't seem to find is how often they lay. If I read correctly the begin laying at 2 weeks? and then what is the production like and how long does the egg laying season last?

Thanks so much!

Hi,

Cotunix start laying from 6 weeks old to begin with.

Last year I did a trial with 26 hens. I started with 6 week old pullets on 1st Jan, trial ended 31st Dec.

In this time the average egg number per bird was 267 eggs lay in that year. Lights were provided during winter so they continued to lay.

Ironsun.

Well, two weeks is way early for egg laying, but at that age they can jump/fly out of a 3+ foot tall brooder. They are crazy fast to mature.

I've had some hens sporadically start laying eggs as early as 5.5 weeks old, but a general rule is 8 weeks until daily egg laying, and with all living non-digital things, there are always exceptions. Some sooner, and some later, but usually 8 weeks. As Saddina points out
big_smile.png

Production is one egg per hen a day, but every hen can have a bad egg day. The season lasts as long as 14+ hours of light are provided, and as long as the temp doesn't freeze the birds. Unfortunately, I don't happen to know the freezing point of coturnix quail.

They are a very good choice for expansion, and even new start ups.

Just MHO.

Ken

So does the egg production stop or just slow down without the proper amount of light? I live in the pacific northwest so I know they wouldn't get the proper amount of light (14 hours) and I'd rather not worry about supplying an artificial light. Are they like chickens and just slow the egg production down without that amount of light or completely stop?

Thanks again!

One last question, do these birds have enough meat on them to make them a worthwhile meat bird? That wouldn't be the primary purpose, but if I end up with too many, or decide to go that route...

Quote:
SEASONAL LAYER LIKE A BOB--- ONCE MAYBE TWICE A YEAR--- LATE SPRING AND IF THEY FEEL GENEROUS LATE SUMMER--- AVERAGE CLUTCH VARIES BUT MAY BE FROM 12-30 OR SO EGGS.

Back
Top Bottom