Coturnix egg question??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jwatts, May 19, 2012.

1. jwatts

jwatts Songster

Apr 16, 2011
    I have just put 77 Coturnix eggs in the incubator. I am new to the quail and i have noticed that most of the eggs were a little sticky. I was wondering if one egg broke and leaked on some of the others or if this is natural? I didn't wash them off,i heard horror stories about washing eggs prior to incubation. Any help would be greatly appriciated.. thank you

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Crowing

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I'm assuming these were eggs mailed to you? I Personally don't have a problem with wipe'n a egg off with a damp dish towel if its funky. Especially a coturnix egg. Seems like they will hatch if you set'em on the counter by your toaster...Iv wiped coturnix eggs off till the paint comes off and leaves a white shell and still hatch fine. Alot of folks feel strongly that you should'nt ever clean a egg for hatching. I have not seen alot of difference. I actually washed buff orpington eggs with a wet towel a month ago. Eggs looked like they were laid in a feed lot. 22 out of 28 chicks are in my brooder now. I would search for that broken one if you think there is a leaker, You want to find it now instead of 2 weeks plus from now! A good sniff test when you open your bator to add water is always a good thing too! Good luck with your hatch, Bill

3. jwatts

jwatts Songster

Apr 16, 2011
    A good friend game me all of them I was just wondering if there naturally sticky and if they will be ok in the incu like that. I also have a few that are dented but not leaking. I'm wondering if these will be ok?

4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Crowing

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Not normally sticky... I don't set cracked eggs. That being said, I have heard folks talk of wax repairs and such... I have just had too many unknown cracked eggs, start weeping nasty goo after sitting 2 weeks in my hot-humid bator! Give repairing them a try and post if it works. Would be a neat "white lab coat" experiment... Good luck with your eggs, Bill

5. jwatts

jwatts Songster

Apr 16, 2011
    I checked the eggs and they don't seem sticky. Dry now. I didn't do any repairs because some are dented. I'm going to try and ride it out. I hope it works. Thanks for the info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: