coturnix feed

ChickenChaps

Songster
12 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Malabar, FL
I have 97 eggs in the bator due to hatch Mon-Wed next week.
smile.png
So excited!!

Having trouble finding the right feed. The feed store I go to carries:
Southern States
Sporting Bird Starter (Avatec Medicated) 28%
Sporting Bird Flight Developer (BMD Medicated) 22%
chick starter, non-medicated, 21%

Given them choices, what should I feed? I didnt check on turkey feeds they carry as I didnt realize that was an option.
There is another feed store further away that carries Purina Mills products. I will stop there and see if they carry the Startena that everyone recommends.
But, if not, which would be your choice?
I do not want to feed medicated - I will be eating these birds and eating the eggs.

Thanks!

I do chick starter for my quail just like for chicken chicks. Never had a problem with that.Then I go to Grower/finisher,then layer.My quail eat the same as my chickens,guinea, silkies,and ducks.

I would use the 28% medicated starter. It's the best for quail, especially since they grow so fast.

Once they are about 6 weeks old you can switch them to the 21% non-medicated feed.

I would go with the highest protein, non medicated game bird, or "Sporting Bird" formula. I'm not familiar with the southern states brand offerings! I'm also not going to stir the pot over medicated verses non-medicated. It's my opinion that anything with the common poultry medications are superfluous, and may be counter productive in most game bird species. Unless you are raising pheasants. I don't do pheasants! Just MHO!

I thought medicated feed can lead to sterility in quail?

I would ask if I could special order some NON-MEDICATED starter.

It can if you feed it to them all the time but it's okay to use for a while. My buttons and coturnix get medicated feed most of the time and I haven't noticed any fertility problems.

Quote:
i feed Southern States Sporting bird starter crumbles # 52362171 UNmedicated..28%.. ( not sure if you need the tag code but in case...Tag code:91019-G...)
This is all i have ever fed my Coturnix from hatching on. I give my local S.S. a call a week in advance for it b/c i'm the only one who wants it but it's no problem for them to call in the order for me as needed.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Quail won't usually thrive on a lower protein feed like they do on a good GBS diet. To up the protein you can add soy meal...

To be honest, Coturnix need 28% Gamebird starter for the first 6 weeks, why?

Because that is when they grow and they usually finish growing 6-8 weeks.

After 6 weeks, you can feed the quail lower protein, as long as it's unmedicated.

Back
Top Bottom