Coturnix hatching eggs

nikirushka

Songster
6 Years
Dec 2, 2014
I'm just wondering how you guys store eggs for selling. I've had a request for a dozen eggs for a local poultry guy, who wants to hatch some out for his daughter.

I asked elsewhere, but one person told me to keep them cool and pointy end down; another at room temp and on their sides, turning 3-4 times a day. I opted for the latter as it seemed the more logical thing to do to preserve fertility without actually incubating. I've already checked a few eggs before I started collecting and they are fertile.

I've only got three hens laying so far (out of seven), so it's taken me five days to collect the dozen I've been asked for; I've read before that they can last for about a week before they need to be incubated. Is that about right? If this lot fail I will replace them for the guy, he's aware it's my first attempt! By hatch day (they'll be in the incubator tomorrow) I should have more girls laying anyway so replacements will be fresher.

Thanks.

Right on all points.

I keep my hatching eggs in a mini dorm refrigerator set as low as it will go. It's about 55 degrees inside it. I store them in cardboard egg flats, pointy ends down and tilt the flats twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom