Coturnix male noisy?

coturnixxx8

In the Brooder
May 23, 2018
Hi, I live in a very compact urban area and my nosy neighbour's open windows are only 3 meters from my roof. I plan to keep around 6 to 7 quails the roof for eggs only. Do you think 1 male with 5-6 females will be happy and content enough to be quiet during night and early morning? How often does your males crow per day?

They tend to crow at dawn and sporadically through the day. You might want to show your neighbor a clip of a bird crowing and ask if s/he thinks it would be too noisy. My neighbors aren't as close as yours, but those crows pretty much blend into the morning bird sounds where I live.

They can crow and the girls do sing an "egg song" when they lay an egg in the afternoon/ early evening (at least some of mine do this). However, this is not overly loud nor often. I find that once a group (1 male with 4-5+ females) settles into their routine, they are actually pretty quiet. Add more males, and you will get more noise (a lot more noise) and fighting. If you add more quail, but in separate cages of 1 male with his group of girls, you might get a little extra noise with a little extra crowing, but it is not too bad. Of course, they do have their personalities so you might end up with a quieter or louder male.

As others noted, you do not need a male unless you will incubate and hatch. If you want a constant supply of eggs, you might want to have a male so you can incubate every 4-8 months and have new quail ready to lay when the older ones are becoming a little less productive.

Good Luck.

One male should be fairly quiet, a couple crows a day. But it will also depend on the roo. I just culled a particularly noisy guy but he had lots of competition.
I have only one mature male now and I think I’ve caught him crowing about 2 times this week.
They tend to blend in with the wild birds sounds in my opinion. I am urban too, but have a bit more space than you do I think.

Back
Top Bottom