Coturnix males - do they ever stop crowing?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Daisy in NZ, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Daisy in NZ

Daisy in NZ Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2009
    Please help!
    I have 2 male Coturnix in a large mixed outdoor aviary and they crow throughout the day and night. This is disturbing many other birds as well as quite a few humans. I know that one of the solutions is to get some girls - but we intend putting Lady Amherst's Pheasant in fairly soon, and don't think that would be viable. I could put up with it if it was only for "breeding season" so my question is.. will 2 males crow all year round if there are no females? Thanks

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    basically...yea, i have a breeder coop that i usually keep extra males in, no females, and they crow non-stop b/c they can hear the other females.

so yea, i fyou have no females, the males will usually crow non-stop

3. Daisy in NZ

Daisy in NZ Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2009
    Thanks for that - will have to find another loving home for them i think.

4. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    if you want to keep them you can "force" them out of breeding season mode by cutting down on the amount of light they get per day to 10ish hours.

other then that they can get a bit loud

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL

SORRY MAN... ROOS STILL CROW EVEN IF NOT IN BREEDING MODE...

6. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yep they crow all the time, breeding season or not, if one crows they all crow lol. I have some in my house that are approaching 5 weeks old, I have been catching the ones crowing and putting leg bands on them then taking them to the quail shed, its nice to sort them out when they are 3-4 weeks because then you can decide who is a keeper and who is a plate filler lol

7. Apatedolos

Apatedolos Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    Im glad my 2 are girls then. My mom wouldn't be happy if they made alot of crowing in the house ha-ha. My 2 quailies sound like little crickets when they are happy [​IMG]

8. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yeah my hens sound like crickets too lol, its cute but its still not cute enough to keep me from eating them [​IMG]

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I really like the male sounds too. The females making the cricket sounds. The Males make more of a wet fart sound as a child told me at one time and it stuck. When I bring the feed bucket I get a choir! Love those boogers!

10. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yeah mine sing to me all the time, the males get WAY frustrated when I take the females away lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by