Coturnix Outlets in quanity, Prices?

rittert3

Crowing
13 Years
May 1, 2009
Ks (Manhattan area)
I want to start a coturnix colony of about 72 birds grouped in 3 quad or single quad pens (still desiding). But in doing production math I'm finding that I will need a ton of brooder space that I don't want to mess with. If ea. hen lays 2 eggs every 3 days that adds ~250 eggs a week. I want to set some each week but not that many. So my ? is at $0.25 for eggs, $0.50 for Under a week, and $2.00 for grown birds, What should my production ratio be (regarding demand and how fast they will sell)? Should I charge a quarter for each week of age? Should I cut back my colony size or possibly just rotate them out of the lighting? (If I get the setup I want I will have an older moble home to use for my quail) I also wanted opinions on if 3 quads per 48"Lx30"Dx10"H cage or 1 quad per 24"x24"x10" pen would be better. Also, lol, dose anybody know how to make roll out floors on wire cages, and what size hardware cloth the floor should be?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

I was wondering the same thing, in that, how should I price the eggs. Consumption, hatching, chicks, adults---what are good prices? I know locally Bobs go for $3-$4 per adult bird.
ETA: What is considered to be gorn birds? As you have it written I would assume older than a week...??

Last edited:
I know bobs are grown at 14-16wks but coturnix mature alot quicker, I think 8 wks? I want to consume a few but it won't be enough to make much of an impact on numbers. Also dose variety make much difference in demand, personally preferance I like tuxedo and A&M

Want to hopefully market for consumption or for dog training only, a contract with a commercial grower/ processer would be great. I want to have enough to make some supplimental income and in poultry that is only possible in large numbers. Maybe I should just market refrigerated (killed) eggs and raise just a few to sell local and for friends and family. Tons of farmers around here sell fresh chicken eggs for consumpion i'm sure reg.s arnt to much differnt for coturnix.

If you want to grow quail for dog hunting, you really need to have bobs. Coturnix are so friendly, if a dog got after them they'd probably come running to you so you could 'save' them.

ETA: As far as egg sales locally, I would suggest learning how to pickle the eggs. Pickled eggs sell good just about anywhere. I can't get $1 locally for 2 dozen coturnix hatching eggs, but put those same 2 dozen eggs in a jar with some vinegar and seasoning and people will readily pay $5-$6 for them
roll.png

Last edited:
Quote:
WE TRIED BOB BIRDS A WHILE BACK--- THEY SUCK
sad.png

BOBS ARE DEFINATELY YOUR DOG TRAINING BIRD. ANY SERIOUS DOG TRAINERS MAY BUY COTURNIX INITIALLY, BUT ONCE THEY FIGURE OUT HOW DISAPPOINTING THEY ARE YOUR TRAINING SALES WILL BE OVER. ALSO THERE'S THAT WHOLE FISH AND GAME THING TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT... IN MANY STATES IT IS HIGHLY ILLEGAL TO RELEASE NON NATIVE WILDLIFE--- FOR ANY REASON. SO YOUR PLAN MAY BE NIXED FROM THE BEGINNING
hmm.png

As Far As Large Commercial Contracts... Better Pm Fitzy. He Lives In Manhattan Ks. And Tried This 2 Yrs Ago... Last I Heard He Threw Away More Than 2/3's Of His Usda Processed Birds After Putting Big Money Into Raising Them And Paying To Have Them Legally Processed So They Could Be Legally Sold

If I go for large scale production I will sell before processing I'm not going to pay someone to process take the birds back THEN sell them. As far as the pickled egg thing are there regulations saying you have to lable them and have your process and facility inspected? That is kind of what I don't want to deal with. I don't want to turn into a factory, I want to raise and market livestock and if that meens selling some eggs thats fine to but I dont want to add a bunch of this and that to complicate things and put me under thumb.

Back
Top Bottom