Coturnix quail as tame lap-pets

GreedySeedFeedy

Songster
8 Years
Jun 23, 2013
Here (Video link) is a video of a little maltese hen of ours! Her name's Hemmi, and she has a lovely temperament. I wanted to show what wonderful, lovable pets Japanese quail can make. If you listen, you can hear the noise that both sexes make when they're happy and enjoying good company! We call it a fleedle~

It seems to be a belief that quail can never be tame pets, but as you can see it's not true! You get back what you put into them.

Do you have very tame birds? I'd love to hear your stories and tips for how you get your birds tamer. My secret is loads and loads of time, patience, and the mealworms never hurt!

Actually, some of them are softer than others! This one, and our tibetan hen are really really soft, but we do have a few that are scraggly-feeling despite all having the same food. It must be genetics!
I think it’s their bathing habits. Some birds take better care of themselves, dust bathe and groom. Some tumble in the dirt and call it a day.

I have 2 that i plan to raise like this, in 2 days by rewarding them with treats they can come out their cage into the house. They let me pet them now but nowhere as much as you! wont let me pick up and if i do, they get a bit scared, but one of them loves pets and the other one, dosnt really and once i pet her like once she just walks away (which is totally fine). theyre super soft!

Back
Top Bottom