Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Okay my first coturnix quail hatch did not go very well. I had 9 birds hatch out at different times. Seven of them died within two hours after hatching. Of the two chicks I had left one was perfectly fine and the other didn't have eyes! I contacted the breeder and he said that I could consider getting a different male because if they were siblings it could be the cause of the birth defects. The blind one died two days later. The other one is still perfectly fine. What amazes me with this hatch is that every single eggs the was fertile hatched but with chickens and other birds usually you will have a few eggs that have a perfectly developed chick in them that just doesn't hatch! Is this normal for quail? Is there anything else I can do to have a better hatch other than find another male? Do you think that I just had an unsuccessful hatch that won't usually happen? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Ok Not sure if this was asked already or not. But at what age do these guys start laying eggs? I thought I had one hen and to roos, well I found out different this am :) I have two hens and one roo. More eggs for me. :) Any way I am sure the three I have that hatched where born on mothers day and that is just 2 months old I found an egg this am!! I know it was from them as it is only three quail I have in the brooder still!

Ok Not sure if this was asked already or not. But at what age do these guys start laying eggs? I thought I had one hen and to roos, well I found out different this am :) I have two hens and one roo. More eggs for me. :) Any way I am sure the three I have that hatched where born on mothers day and that is just 2 months old I found an egg this am!! I know it was from them as it is only three quail I have in the brooder still!
They can lay an egg as soon as 5 weeks old. I have not seen much of that. Especially if you keep them in the brooder for a month and then out to a pen they hesitate. Just from my observations.

Oh ok, We got another egg last night as well! I am glad as we bought 15 eggs and only 3 hatched, so now we are hoping these will hatch.

Quick few question to all you cots experts out there: I found purina startena at a feed store here (30% protein). I feed the babies that until what age? Also, how can you tell a female white cot from a white male?

I free feed oyster shell and cuttlebone. Some like one some like the other. I also feed startena since its the only thing I can get at 30% protein.

Oh no! All the pictures disappeared! We might have to make a new one for the newbies. I refer to it often myself and I'm so sad the pictures are gone!!

Back
Top Bottom