Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Processed a batch of quail yesterday, SUPER EASY! did 11 in about an hour.
Does the quail need to rest like other poultry, this was our first time doing them.
DH is pacing, can't wait to try them. I have another 14 will be doing tomorrow.
That will be enough for the entire family to have a meal. (6 adults in the household)
I cleared out my A&M flock, not very nice little guys.
I have way too many tibetan roos so they will be cleared out tomorrow.
Have to say I really prefer the jumbos personality.
They are more friendly and cheerful little things.
I don't have near the pecking issues we were having with the A&Ms, and the jumbos are the oldest group!

Great info about the processing. I'm just hatching out a batch and looking to process them. Was considering getting the A & M but maybe I'll just stick with my jumbos.

I got 6 of these babies by accident. I wanted to find out about them and this was very help! Thanks
welcome-byc.gif
It is very well documented. Keep them warm, very high protein chick feed.

Hi, I am very interested in hearing and reading about Texas A&M Coturnix Quail. I have recently purchased 30 that hatched August 12. I am starting to hear interesting quail calls. No crowing, but something very musical indeed. No eggs so far. I am in central Texas, half way between Houston and Dallas. Our temps have recently fallen into the low 50's / 60's and highs between 76 - 84 degrees. We are raising them for our personal use only, not to sale. We love fried quail and gravy as well as wrapped in bacon and cooked on the outside grill. I have them in rabbit hutches off the ground and recently covered the hutches on three sides with heavy duty plastic to protect from winds and drafts. Do they need a light to protect from freezing? If so, at what temperature, 32 degrees?

The plan is too keep back a few for breeding purposes so we can fill our freezer. The problem? I know nothing about quail. Have seen a lot of material out there but nothing that gives me a step by step plan. I have chickens for fresh eggs, but do not have a rooster so buy chicks via mail order, and raise them myself.

Any information and "heads-up" will be truly appreciated.

For instance, I imagine I will start by:

1. gather the quail eggs
2. do not wash them
3. do not refrigerate them
4, maintain them at ____ temperature until I have enough to begin hatch process.
(keep them in the house until I have enough? How many do I want to start out trying to hatch? assumes it depends on size of incubator?)
5. rotate the eggs daily
6. quail eggs should hatch in _____ days
7. move them to the brooder

So from above, you can see I'm looking for simplified steps I can follow. I know I have left out many many important steps.
But, I said up front, I do not know what I am doing.

Again, your shared experiences and information will be appreciated. Sincerely, Linda Lovett.

I have 30 TAM Coturnix Quail and they are all very gentle and sweet. I can handle them all easily with no problem. So feel fortunate after reading the above story. Not sure what makes the difference, but don't give up on them without a try. Linda/

Hi, I am very interested in hearing and reading about Texas A&M Coturnix Quail. I have recently purchased 30 that hatched August 12. I am starting to hear interesting quail calls. No crowing, but something very musical indeed. No eggs so far. I am in central Texas, half way between Houston and Dallas. Our temps have recently fallen into the low 50's / 60's and highs between 76 - 84 degrees. We are raising them for our personal use only, not to sale. We love fried quail and gravy as well as wrapped in bacon and cooked on the outside grill. I have them in rabbit hutches off the ground and recently covered the hutches on three sides with heavy duty plastic to protect from winds and drafts. Do they need a light to protect from freezing? If so, at what temperature, 32 degrees? I'm not sure, our quail have no light/heat, but some do, someone in your area might be able to suggest what they do.

The plan is too keep back a few for breeding purposes so we can fill our freezer. The problem? I know nothing about quail. Have seen a lot of material out there but nothing that gives me a step by step plan. I have chickens for fresh eggs, but do not have a rooster so buy chicks via mail order, and raise them myself.

Any information and "heads-up" will be truly appreciated.

For instance, I imagine I will start by:

1. gather the quail eggs well yes
lau.gif

2. do not wash them correct
3. do not refrigerate them correct
4, maintain them at (I can't remember, someone else will help out) temperature until I have enough to begin hatch process.
(keep them in the house until I have enough? pretty much How many do I want to start out trying to hatch? assumes it depends on size of incubator? yes, however many you want to hatch)
5. rotate the eggs daily depends, if your incubator is automatic then just leave it to do it's thing, but if not then yes, until day 14 (someone confirm that?)
6. quail eggs should hatch in 16-18 days
7. move them to the brooder

So from above, you can see I'm looking for simplified steps I can follow. I know I have left out many many important steps.
But, I said up front, I do not know what I am doing.

Again, your shared experiences and information will be appreciated. Sincerely, Linda Lovett.
In addition to this, leave it a few weeks after they start laying to ensure good fertility. Any other questions just ask :) You'll want 1 male to about 4 or more hens for good fertility, and if you're keeping more than one male then up those numbers to more like 6 hens.

Thanks so much for your reply. I have just found a great post by Monarch and plan to take my laptop to bed with me for some informative reading. I will post an update in the near future. Again, thank you. Linda.

I have finally ... Mostly... Finished my quail coops out back. Just needs exterior weatherproof paint and a liner on the poop trays . BUT- it's going to snow tonight! They were purchased at 65 ft elevation and we are at 6,4500 ft. Huge temp change. They have been in my semi heated garage for a few months. Can I just pop them out there? The quail apartments ( dh calls them ) have a plywood enclosed room with a tiny pop door to another room with one wall mesh and the floor mesh. So only one wall exposed to the elements in the additional room. How can I get them out there without shocking them to death?

Back
Top Bottom