Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

This is what I found in my quail cage today
Even my relatively mature hens will lay a rubber egg from time to time, especially during times of stress. We had a heat wave come through (went from low 90s to almost 110) and because of a malfunction in my misters, I lost a number of hens, but some of the hens I didn't lose have laid some rubber eggs. Nothing to worry about, in my opinion, just try to keep the girls happy and their feed consistent as much as possible.

Okay so I will keep the hens (Do you call quail that?) in with one roo. I'll keep my extra roos together. I have learned that as soon as I go down to 1 roo something will happen to that one. I try to keep a spare around for that reason. I can't tell one roo from the other except some are older and there for bigger than the others. I will post pictures before we harvest any of them for your opinions on which to keep. I still cant get over them being sweet and friendly. My hand raised chicks are not this tame. I was expecting wild and flighty.
I was pleasantly surprised at their friendliness too. Even the ones I've had walk out of their cages have been super easy to catch, just pick them up.

If you aren't giving supplemental calcium, like oyster shell, you will have those eggs more frequently.
I give mine crushed egg shells. I give my chickens oyster shell but I think the pieces are too big for the quail. Can they eat the big pieces?

My question is, I dont know the age of my quail but I get one to two eggs every day, every other day, to every couple days and I have 5 hens. What does this mean? What age do they normally stop laying?

Well no one is answering you so I will give you an unqualified answer. By that I never keep a bird for more than a year. So everything I say from this point is subject to what I have read, and further scrutiny should be applied because now I am recalling that from my memory...

If I understand correctly the average lifespan is appx 3 years, they lay regularly for the first year, and possibly the second but start to taper off somewhere from 1+ years until.

IF that information is correct your birds are probably past one year.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom